Saturday, June 27, 2009

Updates on June 27th 2009

First, before the updates, how cute is my dog? Both my dogs are very cute, but here Leon is allowing Robert to put him in his sweatshirt LOL.

I like the extra bit of fashion management my husband did by rolling up his sleeves.









Magoo-Our little Great Dane obedience student is doing well. His owner lives in Ogunquit, and has enjoyed walking him through town on leash to see what he can do. Magoofy is sweet natured, puppy like, and adorable. I am very fond of his light pink nose. When the large adult Great Danes come to visit, it's like Magoo thinks that is his mommy and daddy. Yesterday they ran through creeks and marshlands together. You know that puppy look of excitement and joy a dog has when they are really having fun? Magoo had that look along with the floppy limbs and ways of a puppy. He is my refuge after a day of working the harder dogs. To just be able to enjoy that puppy joyfulness and sweetness. It's a gift during the day, that is for sure.

Currently we are working on everything stay, time, and distractions. Stand stay, place, sit stay, and down stay. Down first time performance is still being worked on by weaning out any help into the position now. His owner was wondering why, since he is food motivated, I didn't start with treats. Well first, the nice thing about Magoo is he doesn't need to work with treats. He is pretty willing to do whatever you show him. More importantly, since we are going into competition, it will be twice as hard to train food refusal if I get him hooked on the goods. Since Magoo works well without them, there is no need. And if I need to, I will and then phase out the treats.

New Client Leon The Boxer- Can not believe I did not take a picture of this beautiful boy. Next time I will definately remember. A family just adopted him last Sunday. He is two years old from rescue. Really a handsome boy and seemingly mellow and very friendly. He kept trying to crawl up on my lap, LOL. As an owner of Doberman lap dogs and friends of two Great Dane lap dogs, I know that oh so well. Seems this guy is a lover.

The concern with him was that he was getting worked up when walked with other dogs. During our consult, it appeared he is just anxious to play with a potential friend. So that's good news and a problem with a clear and easy solution. My dog, Dobe Leon, helped us discover what was going on with Boxer Leon. Unless some behavior bends kick in, he just seems like a super sweet dog who would like to spend some quality time playing with other canines. They start lessons next week to work on the walking issues, so the owner does not find herself pulled over to potential new friends.

And the Hoobinator-Easier than week 5, but a mixed bag this week. He definately did not appreciate my brother in law and nephew being in the house. He did not even see them, but he heard them. It caused him to have a sleepless night and wake up in THE MOOD. We had a real temper tantrum when he was put into the crate so I could go get lunch with my brother in law. The other days he has woken up happy, but it seems to have renewed his vigor not to go into the crate. He has not done this for quite awhile, and he started to try and growl and redirect AFTER THE MUZZLE CAME OFF. Smart little bugger figured out when the most vulnerable time was. I am careful to keep the leash on until just before he goes in.

Now in the beginning, if his muzzle was on, he was growling as it was going to come off. Then if he was really being a problem, I would send him into the crate with the muzzle on until he had a change of mind. Once the muzzle is off, however, I am not about to put it back on when he's getting revved up. So we are doing reps going in and out of the crate as he earns his dinner, using the PVC pipe for safety. He seems to be starting to get it, and hopefully we can just go back to him entering the crate without making a fuss.

On week six, he also started showing his growling when your hands moved from far away when getting up from the computer, or when my husband went to pet our dog from 20' away. Finally, yesterday, I had left him in the room outside the crate for a good performance, and when I went back in he tried to come at me. So no more out in the room for him right now (not talking about the family or living areas, but the room he sleeps in. I suspect he's getting a bit territorial of it.) I would change up rooms, but then Hoobie gets nervous and doesn't sleep as well. Plus it gets a bit inconvenient. This morning, after he was put in for breakfast, I forgot something went in the room, and he tried to growl me out from the crate!! Such a bad boy, and so we did some reps of crate in out, and down/sit.

Yesterday, we also had a blast in the marsh with Hoobie. OMG, he was racing around like a young puppy, and he got completely drenched. He can sure swim. The rain that has been non stop is good for filling up the water spaces so dogs can swim and cool off in them. We will most likely do more of that for Hoobie today.

My Dog Leon-He has been feeling off for the last week or so. Finally today a noticeable limp showed in his left leg. I am hoping that he strained something not related to his cruciate. He is on strict bed rest now to see if he will recover from a mild strain, or whether we need to revisit the surgery for the left leg. The right leg was done last year or the year before. His knees are the reason that I do not compete with him, and let him do activities at totally his own speed.
I totally hate when my dogs aren't feeling well. Jack has not had many off days in his life. There was that day he got into the food bin, gorged himself, and had me in a panic because it looked like he was pregnant with 13 puppies. I either bungey the lids shut now, or put a whole lot of stuff on top of the food lid. That's the only day I can think of where Jack didn't feel all that well.
Leon got some weird bumpy skin rash when he was a puppy and we were traveling. By the time we got to where we were going, it was already disappearing. Then we learned he liked to roll in dead things when he got a bit of mange. I was aghast. Not my puppy, he wouldn't roll in dead things. Then we found the flattened toad in our yard LOL. Oh well, I guess he is a dog after all, even if he is super cute. Then the knees started to give. Leon is mostly healthy, but his knees are his main health issue that can put him in dumpsville.
My Dog Jack- Has an owner that is too tired to train him most days. However, that's me, and I feel terribly guilty about it. So I am going to buck up, and get back to it with him.
Look how cute he is waiting for me at the top of the stairs. I just love my Jack. He is a ton of work, but well worth it and he has made me a better trainer. Jack has been the teacher of teachers so far.
He challenges me constantly, and learns so fast.

Sorry I don't write more about my non behaviorally challenged dogs here. I really should. As you can imagine, the ones with behavior problems take up quite a bit of my time.



Mannerly Mutts Dog Training
Mannerly Mutts Blog
mannerly_mutt@yahoo.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Robin,

Hoobie's lump seems to be getting large. Any word from the vet?

Also his reactions seem consistent with our experiences in the past. When he is tired he can blow easily.

Any chance he is in some pain?

Jean

Robin said...

The vet will not know unless they can biopsy it.

As far as it's geting bigger, I think that Hoobie has lost some his his extra fat. I try to feel it every day, and some days I think it's bigger, and other days I swear I am mistaken and it's smaller.

Maybe when Carole comes down we can talk with the vet together and decide whether to have the biopsy done.

As far as his reactions, remember these number only in the ones that I blogged about. When a dog gets comfortable in the situation, they will OFTEN do this, especailly if they are a dog like Hoobie. He wouldn't be unhappy if he didn't get his control back.

I am sure sometimes he is tired from running around the marshlands and the woods LOL. The point is, tired or not, you don't want a Hoobie coming after you.

I don't believe he is in anymore pain that his illnesses would visit on him. That plus the recent visit by my relatives here really seemed to put him out of wack, because while he didn't make any noise in his crate, I think he was awake that night. You know hearing the strange voices, hearing the strange footsteps et.

I am looking forward to you guys being up here on Monday, so you can see him. I am hoping you will see the improvements.

Inside the crate is still a point of contention for Hoobie. I have been doing reps with him lately to find the best way to put him in, without him wanting to react. He dislikes in specific the door to the crate being closed. He comes out great now, he sleeps in it great. It's putting him in that can be a bit problematic:)

Robin

michael said...

Hi Robin:

I have been teaching dogs how to pick up stuff from the floor and found that not all dogs are created equal. For some you would require quite a lot of patience. But the trick is worth it. Maybe it's the same for your dogs as well.

Robin said...

Oh this is timely as I have been meaning to post Leon's fetch videos.

Leon has been taught a play retrieve. I started Jack on a work retrieve, but once I got busy I kind of dropped it my bad. I have been meaning to show the difference.

I have also been meaning to write out steps to my play retrieve. There are kind of levels you go to from pick up, to go get it, to go get it and bring it back. To go get it just cause I dropped it. To I have thrown it somewhere now find it.

I have actually used the play one not just as a trick, but to get things that I don't feel like walking a few feet to get LOL. My dog loves it.

Regarding dogs not being equal, I am wondering if you are meaning not all dogs have a retrieve instinct. I think that is totally right even within the same breed. For instance Leon has always had a knack for it, Jack has less of an interest in it. Playing or treating for it don't seem to get him going, but showing it as a demonstation does the trick.

I will see if I can edit up those videos to show today:) Thanks, it is a wonderful and fun thing to do with your dog, and a way to get them involved in just that many more aspects of your life. And what dog doesn't want that?