Thursday, June 25, 2009

Behavioral Bends

Every shelter, rescuer, trainer, and adopter of an adult shelter dog should know about behavioral bends. The article attached is by Julia McDonough (posted under her old married name). The basic message is that dogs are not always WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get). Dogs may show unexpected behaviors weeks or months after you adopt them. This does not always mean that the owner has done something terribly wrong!! In fact, what it may mean is that the dog is only now comfortable showing you this part of themselves. Dogs need to scope out the situation first. For trainers, this is especially important because a problem can not always be diagnosed over the phone or from even a day one consult.

For instance, our resident guest, Mr Hoobie, who I have been talking regularly about. Thankfully, I have a detailed history of Mr Hobbinators behaviors. So from day one, I have known what to look for. Now some of these behaviors have not surfaced until week 6. Those specifically being aggression from a distance on moving body parts (like if you are moving the computer mouse with your hands or even reaching for another dog to be petted 20' away). This first showed up three days ago, when my husband went to pet Jack, and Hoobie let out a low growl and stare. Then this morning, he growled at me when I moved my hand from the keyboard to the mouse. These are things that I had wished might NEVER show their face again, but I am well aware of behavioral bends. It's not that common or uncommon. It's not always negative. It's like when six weeks later a dog just starts to show you that they are a playing fool. Hannah, another Springer, didn't make it clear that she loved to play with other dogs for six months (she boarded with us after training, and showed absolutely no interest in playing until six months later---that is except with her sister Katie). That's a positive behavioral bend, she needed to feel comfortable enough around the packs that developed here to show that side.

Just ends up being another thing about Hoobie that is tough. I have been brushing off my clothes, using my mouse liberally, petting my dogs, and petting him for five plus weeks now, and on week 6 he chooses to show me it on his own. I don't know how much of a stink he is going to put up regarding not being allowed to do it. I am glad it's here now where we still have week 7, and perhaps week 8 to go. The owner is coming down this Monday to start being trained on handling Hoobie, and continuing his training and maintenance once home. He may actually give his owners less of a problem OR he may try to get things "back to his normality" as much as possible.

Any way, it's going to be important information for me. When I get a dog like Hoobie in, I pretend this is MY dog. I have just adopted him from the shelter. The unfair thing is that I do have background info on this dog, unless he has been adopted just days ago and the owner does not know that much about the dog. That's just one of the many things I love about Hoobie's owners, they have been very thorough and thoughtful of telling me what to be aware of.


Mannerly Mutts Dog Training
Mannerly Mutts Blog
mannerly_mutt@yahoo.com

No comments: