Thursday, April 30, 2009

South Portland High School Psych Presentation




A High School student was working on a project for their psych class, and needed someone to speak on dog training and why it works. I am actually working on my presentation skills this year, and I am always up to talking to people of any age about dog training. I was a little concerned that this might be some strange psych experiment on an unsuspecting volunteer LOL.

Ms Moore was the Psych teacher in the class. I am always impressed with teachers. She was having the students give introductions for their guest speakers, and made sure that things like water were available should I require them. It was clear that she cared for her students, and was trying to give them a very well rounded education. It made me miss some of my favorite teachers from all the schools that I attended, and a bit nostalgic. Most of them work so hard and care so much for very little pay. Like I do, a good teacher will absolutely love what they do and care for the people that they come in contact with.

The speech went well, and I tried to remember things like loud tone, enunciation, breath, it's okay to pause for a couple of seconds, and even managed to get some young adult friendly goofs in there. As usual, I am horrible at marketing myself, so the portion on my credentials should have been a bit more precise. I am going to have to work on my elevator speech, you know you have thirty seconds or a minute to impress someone. I often don't give my credentials much thought, and I hate to brag about myself.




Most of the young adults seemed a bit shy:) I know the feeling, so I was happy with the questions that came from the students. It's apparent that they think about their dogs and what is best for them. It's an important age to stress responsibility for these lives that depend on us to take care of them.

In making the speech, I got a lot of ideas on how to tweak this for presentation in humane societies on responsible dog ownership, importance of training, and how and why training works. The speech as presented was for a psych class, and so I tied it into what influences in behavioral science have become linked with dog training lingo and tools.
Ms Moore and the class thoughtfully presented me with a card and gift certificate to Dunkin Donuts. I treated myself to a Coolatta after we left the High School. I would suggest that if anyone is ever invited to do this, that they take a little time out for the younger adults that will someday be dog owners in their own right.


Need some help training your dog? Call Mannerly Mutts Dog Training, York Maine Dog Training Service, at 207-361-4395. Or e-mail Maine Dog Trainer, Robin Rubin, mannerly_mutt@yahoo.com. To see a complete list of our services please visit our website, http://www.mannerlymutts.com. Also offering New Hampshire Dog Training and Massachusetts Dog Training Services.

No comments: