Sunday, April 26, 2009

Remember The Teeth!


We are coming up to a week where I have a few "aggressive" dogs slated. I put aggressive in quotes, as it's the "average dog owner" definition that I am speaking of and not an advanced dog trainer's understanding of aggression, which can be very useful and not in a negative way.

I have had a couple other dogs that owners described as aggressive, but are in fact more defensive and fearful. Generally, fearful dogs can have very good results in the long run, and improve incredibly well. Thought and planning needs to go into the plan that gets them there, and sprinkle in a bit of patience and time...it only gets better.

Any time I have unknown cases that I don't know coming in, I count my dog bites and remember the reasons that I got them. Number one had nine or more years ago as I was clipping Neptune's nails. I didn't think he would make a serious case against the nail clipping, and I was wrong!! First lesson, when in doubt, do not have your face in striking distance!! Being in a standing position is always nice, AND you need to pick your battles that you will live and die over. Muzzling can be a great option if your dog is really worried about nail clippings. We found out much later, that Neptune had a long standing injury (he was a rescue at 2 years old when he came to live with us) in the foot that I was most likely clipping that day. Being fast and sure at clipping also helps the dog not contemplate his avenues of intimidating you.


Bite two came five or six years ago, and his name is Fergus. He is a Cairn terrorist who is not overly fond of being told to come. We were in a bit of a dispute one day, and I lost concentration and he took the opportunity to pinch a small bit off my leg through my sweatpants. Lesson number two, never loose focus when dealing with an aggressive dog no matter how small AND heavy thick jeans are a must. Those sharp front teeth pinch and can slice off a nice little piece of flesh. Sadly the little dent has long since gone, as I had gotten in the habit of touching it before handling an aggressive dog to remind me to focus and wear jeans. Small dogs can not do a huge amount of damage (normally) but they can still injure you. They can also be quite intent on what they are doing, so you better be on your toes. I wasn't taking Fergus too seriously that day, and was grateful for the reminder actually. Better it him than the Great Pyrenes I was also working with!


Bite three came last year. It was totally my fault, as usual, as I was under a bit of pressure to prove to the owners that this dog (and this had been discussed at length prior to training) was not ready to go home after three weeks. So stoopid me, took her out to walk without her muzzle on. I was expecting a deflect but not a flesh wound. Actually everything was going well, until a dog dashed out of a store door at us, and then I got a deflect/puncture wound on my upper thigh. I was not wearing my jeans as it was too hot out. So a repeat of part of lesson two (even in the broiling heat of summer wear thick real jeans), and lesson three do not take stupid risks to prove something that you already know.


To the general public, know that trainers are at risk when they take on the behaviorally challenged. It's a risk most of us love that take on these cases, and we take lots of precautions to keep ourselves safe. The most vulnerable parts on us are our hands and the place closest to the dog's mouth as they walk next to us. We take great pains to be sure our face is faced away from them, or above them, and leash handling skills are a must!! If we get bitten, it is totally our fault. Still, be aware that if you are not doing the work, you are contributing to the risk of the trainer. Never ever, under report the problems that your dog is having to a trainer.Still, be aware that if you are not doing the work, you are contributing to the risk of the trainer. Never ever, under report the problems that your dog is having to a trainer. It's important knowledge for us to have, and keeps us on the lookout for a problem that might not otherwise be apparent. Dogs can act differently handled in a shorter time span or by a different person, and not present the problems that only the owner knows they are having.

It's important that owners know the risks of going it alone also. Dogs have teeth, and to them they are a fine form of communication (if they have never learned otherwise). In order not to prolong or make the problem worse (or seriously injure youself, someone else, or something else); find a professional that knows how to deal with this ASAP.
Got a naughty dog or a good dog, call Mannerly Mutts at 207-361-4935 or e-mail mannerly_mutt@yahoo.com. Serving New Hampshire Dog Training, Maine Dog Training, and Massachusetts Dog Training needs.

No comments: