Tuesday, April 28, 2009

No Daycare For You!!


There is a dog in our neighborhood, who is generally a very nice dog. He is a chow, and seems sweet enough. One day, while training my dog Jackie on the beach (for reactivity to fluffy dogs) Jackie barked at him from a distance (should mention that Jackie is on leash).

This dog was not leashed, and ran about two hundred feet at Jack and kept coming. That display that Jackie made at a distance triggered a reflex in this dog that has probably had no formal training. Had this dog had training, I doubt he would have done that, and in fact I was able to shoo him away. The owner just kept jogging past us, although I know he saw what was happening, faster. A girl that was helping me video the session had been told to keep her distance should something like this occur (unless I yelled for help).

Anyway, phone rings yesterday and this guy is looking for daycare for his dog. He didn't realize that we had all already met while he told me that his dog "doesn't go after other dogs". I politely explained why I couldn't take him, described that situation, and started to explain another option. He interrupted and asked for other places that might take his dog. So now I have someone that is clearly in denial and not so much caring about the safety of other people or pets.

I feel bad for the dog, because I know, in general, he is a good boy. However, he is probably going to be put in an impossible situation due to his owner:(

mannerly_mutt@yahoo.com
http://www.mannerlymutts.com
207-361-4395
Serving New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Maine Dog Training Needs

No comments: