Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Introduction to Jack CD


Okay, here is an introduction to Jack, first of all. Jack came to me from Doberman Rescue as my "foster" dog. They thought he would make a good "project" for me during my down time, when I truly thought I could have a foster dog and then give him up after a little training.

Jack had every peeing issue. He had "I can't hold it pee", marking pee, excited pee, and submissive pee. Yeeeaaahhhhh!!! I should post a little ad here for the Spot Bot. Besides that, he had three obstruction surgeries before coming here. See, he likes to eat thing that well, aren't meant to be eaten or digested. So it took real diligence to keep him away from things, and start guarding the laundry behind closed doors until it was put away behind closed drawers. He also has aggression issues towards other dogs. Oh, and in six months he still had not bonded with Robert (by the way this was the last reason for him being re-returned to the shelter, not bonding with male owner).

As I worked with him three months became six months. I noted his fierce loyalty, his lovingness, his sense of fun and adventure, quick learning, and happy to go with me anywhere. As my birthday approached, the husband asked me the question that he immediately regretted THEN "what do you want for your birthday?" Well, Jackie, of course. Jack and my husband are now very bonded friends, but it took lots of training and work.

When I first adopted Jack, I did not even consider him for a moment as a demo or competition dog. I couldn't see where we were ever going to be in a ring off leash, and he would be trusted to either not bolt or not stir the other dogs into a frenzy LOL, but we worked and slowly but surely I saw a dog that could do this. We went to run thrus first to test this out. He was a bit distracted, but did well in a group of dogs that he was familiar with. When we did the first three trials, he was too distracted and I was too inexperiences (ie I made some handling mistakes that definately contributed to us pointing out). However, we were working together, and people noticed there was a partnership there.

Then last month, we got our first two legs towards three legs needed for Jack's AKC Companion Dog Title. I hope our last leg will be acquired June 21-22, and then we will work on Companion Dog Excellent or Open!! Way to go Jack.

7 comments:

Matt said...

Sometimes I think that these "special" dogs are just more emotional and sensitive than other dogs. This can cause them to drive certain newer owners crazy, can cause them to have fear issues and all sorts of things.

But when someone will take the time with them, they actually become the most loving and obedient dogs because they have had that capacity since they were born.

I'm thinking I have one of those dogs too. Because for all the trouble he can cause, he loves much more than other dogs. He loves training, too.

Matt
doxienews.com

Robin said...

I have been working for a few weeks with emotional sensitive dogs with fear issues.

Jack CD is sort of the opposite of that. He's emotionally insensitive and very in tune with his own needs, as far as other dogs are concerned.

Jacks issues are not fear based. That does not mean he isn't a good dog though. That's "Just Jack" (remember Will and Grace). Part of loving your dog is accepting the other things that may come with.

Robin said...

Thanks for you comment Matt. My blog is on moderated temporarily as I have a persistent spam finding me.

Pretty soon, I am hoping they stop spamming everyone. Be on the lookout!

Robin said...

The only thing I really moderate and delete here is spam.

Matt said...

Oh don't worry about it, most blog comments are moderated. They have to be, the spam will keep coming. :-) I never expect my comments to be posted immediately.

You should see my spam filter.

Matt
doxienews.com

Winterskiprincess said...

I know but I have a certain pride in not blocking comments.

I just don't want anyone to think I would do that. I detest spam, however.

doberkim said...

good luck in open!!!! my DRU boy needs one more leg!