Saturday, March 21, 2009

Spring Time Training Opportunities


Spring has not weather wise "sprung" yet in York Maine. I live a bit inland in the woods, and my lawn is still covered with the winter wonderland that was this winter. My sea side neighbors have said goodbye to most of this convection of the cold season.

Still, it's not as warm as it usually is at this time of year. Most of my day is spent in the thirty and twenty somethings. Oh for fifty degrees, we are living for it at Mannerly Mutts. Not quite light shirt weather out, though I have managed to stop wearing long johns for most of the day.

People are so starved for this in Maine, that they are actually out on the beach now just about whenever the sun manages to peek beyond the clouds. The moment it goes behind though, you find yourself on an isolated beach again. This has allowed me to transition my goals and my clients goals back onto the beach. While I enjoy the distractions and opportunities given by the untrained dogs and irresponsible owners that do attend to our beaches, it also gives me pause for the dangers people put themselves and their dogs in.

The other day as I was training Jackie fetch, a curious two children and their two dogs (on flexi leads) ran one half mile to check it out. The parents chatted where they were half a mile back, without any regard for where canines or children went to. The boy's dog slipped his improperly attached collar, and started running up the ramp to the street. Now I am in charge not only of my dog, my video equipment which is in peril, but two strange children and dogs who are not prone to listening to the strange mean woman telling them directly to act and get their dog's collar on. The parents are too far away for me to call to them to help. And anyway, a tragedy may occur as I wait for them to notice anyone is in danger and get to them. A half mile away, an untrained dog, and unaware child are all great ingredients to an incident.

Next day, Minnie (my client's dog) and I are on the beach for a mid afternoon jog. Minnie is very much enjoying the opportunities to stalk seagulls. A sheltie comes onto the beach, and the owner happily enough disengages the sheltie from the lead. She does this so confidently and happily, that I am sure this dog must have an excellent recall. The owner obviously knows of the sheltie's love for chasing seagulls. Sadly, no recall and the sheltie runs up nearby stairs to the road after the seagull. I see the panicked owner dash off to pursue her dog that is easily a quarter of a mile away now. Luckily tragedy did not strike, but it takes just that small amount of time for it to strike if it's gonna.

This always happens when I walk the Great Danes and the families are about. Children run from anywhere on the beach to get to the dogs. Sometimes this creates a great opportunity to jog with the dogs and stay away from the children. Is this because the dogs aren't friendly? No, in fact Roxie and Harley live with children and frequently see them on the beach with their owners. This is because the dogs exercise needs should not be put on hold, while I explain to children the appropriate way to interact with dogs. Children have been taught to expect that all dogs are friendly everywhere, and in fact available to them like animals at a petting zoo. In fact, dogs are people's great companions who may have quirks, feelings, and phobias. Not every dog should be subjected to a mob of people (large or small) that have no understanding of interacting with them.

Then their are the poor parents who are aware and have taught their children properly. They see me stiffen as their child runs past, because I have been taught too many times that parents are not teaching their skills to their children. I want to run up to those parents and kiss them on the lips, when they say "oh Johny knows to respect a dogs space." And Johny just proved that when he ran past to play with his friends in the waves, rather than flinging himself at the dog I am currently training. I am normally in body block position by now if it looks at all that way, and depending on the dog that I am training at the time:) This is because I am concerned for that child who does not know they are doing anything at all wrong. There is going to be no time while the child is in full on run and lung mode to explain the proper etiquette of dog greetings!!

So I plead with parents, please educate your child that not everyone and every dog likes children flinging themselves at them. If adults displayed that sort of lack of control around small babies and toddlers, parents would be up in arms. (maybe some people do, but I am very respectful of babies and toddlers safety and that their immune systems are not fully developed as yet----as well as a parents fear that someone might try and kidnap their child). Be aware of what your child is doing on the beach. There are all sorts of dangers there. (strange humans, dogs, water, busy streets with cars) There may not be a human there able to help your child should they get into trouble.

Be careful and aware out there!!

2 comments:

Matt said...

I think we're on the verge of people realizing not all dogs are perfect, and not all are nice. You'll have to train your dog to come to you, and you should definitely not assume other dogs are friendly to you, your kids, or other dogs.

Matt
doxienews.com

Robin said...

I don't know. I think we are on the verge of people expecting dogs to be stuffed animals.

I didn't know how the parents could let this small child run around a half mile away from them, and not even be trying to get closer or getting him to come closer.

Maybe I worry too much.