Friday, March 13, 2009

Nature Gets in The Way of Training Plans, Again!

Meet Annabelle and her newborn pups. Apparently, it's no longer a suspicion that there is a pregnant foster female at Mannerly Mutts LOL. I was there for the birth, which only took one hour and 45 minutes for all the three puppies to drop. Annabelle now has the waist line that a normally dog should, again.

Looks like three boys are in the house (four if you include daddy Scooby). Annabelle is an excellent mother. Thank goodness, she was all over what to do, while I watched to be sure everyone was breathing and out of the birth sack. Annabelle was so on top of everything. She did wonderfully.

I, however, was a nervous wreck. First of all when it started, I new exactly what was happening. I was nervous immediately that the puppies would be stuck. It was at a time where the veterinarians were all going home. Luckily, just as true panic was setting in and I was gathering up emergency numbers and the numbers of every breeder that I new to ask questions of....the first puppy popped out. The relief!!

Next came the worry of are they breathing? Are they out of the birthing sac? Does Annabelle know what to do? Thankfully, Annabelle was amazing and new what to do. At one point I thought I needed to help a puppy out, as I thought his leg was stuck. It was not the leg, but the actual umbilical cord still attached inside mom. Thankfully, mom knew just what to do there too, as I was contemplating the possibility that I may need to do something. The first one came out at about a half hour into labor. The last one emerged at about one hour forty five minutes. So although it felt like forever watching poor Annabelle being uncomfortable but bravely giving birth, it wasn't that long at all. I still think I sprouted a few more gray hairs .

The moment she was done, she got herself into the whelping box to start caring for her baby puppies. She's quite protective of them, as a good mother should be. She is also not so cooperative about going out or taking water and food for herself right now. She does not want to leave her precious three (looking like males) charges.

Scooby is beside himself since Annabelle wants nothing to do with him right now. He seems very interested and concerned for her and his puppies.

Such a beautiful thing to watch her with her puppies. Hopefully her owners will be situated soon, and have a plan on what to do with three new additions:)

Color me quite surprised by the way. Although I had a strong belief that she was pregnant, I had thought since the vet hadn't caught this, that we would have at least 4-5 weeks before needing to worry about the birth. The puppies are clearly healthy and robust. It is really amazing.

No comments: