Sunday, March 1, 2009

Me and Leon Share a Workout


It's sometimes hard to figure out how to get exercise in on cold slippery winter days without hurting yourself or your dog. I have many inside tricks and activities that I do.
Today was game and freestyle dance day. First, in order to give myself the best work out, here are the rules of Tug and Run:
1) I start out with tug toy. I run until Leon gets tug toy.
2) When Leon has tug toy, I can't cheat and give him any commands like out or leave it. I must by wits and strategy pursue him for the tug toy. This sort of game should be kept to those dogs that have been brought up to respect their owner and know how to play with them.
3) Once I get the tug toy, two things can happen. One, he could still have it in his mouth, at which point we commence with Leon's favorite game of tug. It's a great triceps and biceps work out:) Or Two, I get the tug toy without Leon attached to it.
4) If we are playing tug, I seek to win but can not (only if Leon's personality were to suddenly change where he got possessive of the toy, which has never happened since his birth to 4 1/2 years) tell him to leave it or out (though if I get a good enough work out in, it's sometimes tempting if I am getting tired). I can trick him by calling a name, or pretending to get tired, or waiting for him to try and adjust his grip and take advantage of that.
5) If I have the toy with no Leon by either winning tug or getting it that way in the first place, then he gets it on completion of something new that we are training on. I might also give it for great execution of something that I asked for and he already knows.
We do this for about a half hour with freestyle moves, a little obedience, and tricks. At the end, we have two tired and hot beings!! Then Leon is allowed to do what he will with the toy as he curls up on the couch or floor for some quiet time.
We also have another game like this that involves a ball, and I try and bounce it the whole time and play keep away. Rules are similar to the Tug and Run game.
Last night, I played hide and seek with both Jack and Leon. Leon will search until he finds me. Jack might give it up if he can scour the kitchen floors instead!

No comments: