Monday, January 10, 2011

Pet Blogger Challenge


1. When did you begin your blog?


In 2004 I began Mannerly Mutts Dog Training Blog as my Worcester Massachusetts dog training business began to take off. Soon, however, the business and family moved to York Beach Maine.

2. What was your original purpose for starting a blog?

Sharing adventures, trials, and tribulations of dog training with the general dog owning public.

3. Is your current purpose the same?

The original purpose is always in effect. However, I have increased the scope and content of the blog.

If not, what’s different?

It has grown to promote dog training or results orientated dog training to the general public, and how this can enhance a relationship between dog and owner. Our blog also serves to provide information on balanced dog training, and expose the myths and misrepresentations out there by others. It has also grown to become an informational resource to our clients and their continuing or beginning education.

If so, how do you feel you’ve met your goals?

I am less concerned with my blogging goals then my goals in business in general, but I do believe we have met these goals. Often times I come across people who read my blog, and it always surprises me:) in a good way.

4. Do you blog on a schedule or as the spirit moves you?

I try to blog on a daily schedule. However, when my business is busy or I am training competition dogs, it is not always my priority. You will see there are some months where blogging might be missing all together.

If the latter, do you worry about… well, whatever you might worry about (e.g. losing traffic, losing momentum)?

No, if I am not blogging that means I am doing the important work of demonstrating dog training and working with owners training their dogs. As long as I keep blogging, it seems my audience always comes back and continues to grow.

5. Are you generating income from your blog?

Not directly, and it’s not really the purpose of the blog. My customers don’t really come from my blog; they go to my blog after they have found me. Sometimes in finding me they may check my blog first before contacting me, but my blog is not directly responsible for any income.

If so, how (e.g. sponsor ads, affiliate relationships, spokesperson opportunities)?

Not applicable.

6. What do you like most about blogging in general and your blog in particular (bragging is good!)?

I like presenting information to dog owners that is hidden or misrepresented (intentionally) by other professionals in the dog business. There are also some incredible dog trainers out there doing excellent work (and can reliably demonstrate that work), and they should be known and sought after.

7. What do you like least?

It has not happened in awhile, but I hate when zealots come after me. I believe I have stopped this by addressing them in a direct way, and not allowing what they were doing to be unnoticed or uncommented upon.  I do not moderate my commentors other than to delete spam.

8. How do you see your blog changing/growing in 2011?

We are going to be having group classes for the first time. These will be new adventures in dog training to share. I will also be sharing on how my posted goals are going in the new year of 2011.

More video demonstrations on common dog training concepts.   I am going to start holiday photo shoots with my dogs, and show off their abilities.   Perhaps interactive discussions.  I don't plan for the changes to my blog much, they pretty much grow organically themselves.

So, there you have it. Don’t forget that there is still time to enter to win the SturdiProducts Car-Go giveaway – and be sure to follow the links below to read more blogger’s posts for the Pet Blogger Challenge!

http://www.mannerlymutts.com/
http://mannerlymutts.blogspot.com/
mannerly_mutt@yahoo.com



3 comments:

Pup Fan said...

Stopping by on the hop - enjoyed your post!

Amy said...

Great reasons to start a blog! Thanks for joining in the challenge, it was great to meet you.

Vicky said...

I can appreciate your thoughts about blogging and a big hats-off for using your forum to promote positive causes. Nice to meet you!