Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Leerburg Video Review (Basic Obedience)

This year my funds are rather tight for seminars (well they have been for some while).   So now pick one or two seminars that appear to be of good quality to go to, and I watch videos and DVDs of trainers or equipment that I am interested in.   This also helps me decide if I should want to see more of this person in person (or shell out dough for their seminar)

Leerburg and Ed Frawley are well know names in dog training (around here anyway).   Ed Frawley's training philosophy is detailed on his website.   His website is also an extensive collection of his articles, podcasts, and much more information.   This is always helpful to a trainer or new dog owner, BUT never forget that doing is the way that you really learn (especially in the presence of a teacher or instructor who has developed the techniques and methods).   This is why DVDs and books are a resource, but never enough to teach you how to train your individual dog.   There are so many variables to a dog including personality, size, physical health, and temperament that no one DVD or book could tell you all there is to know about dog training.

Producing a video is no small task, especially one on dog training.   That being said, here are some things that I did not enjoy about the Basic Obedience video:
  • Too much of it was from a seated position on his porch without training happening.
  • Basic concepts and his philosophy were repeated over and over again, such as that all breeds can be trained and all dogs are individuals.  
  • I use markers myself, that is yes and no.   He showed how to use them with a training demonstration, but failed in my opinion to point out those subtle things that owners should look for in dog training (body movements of handler, body movements of dogs).   I thought a lot more could have been explained and gone over during the exercise demos.
  • Where he showed a happy German Shepherd that was largely untrained how to sit, I thought the use (and selection) of equipment was badly done.   I felt this demonstrated to me how I would never want to train a dog to sit, as there was in my opinion no clear communication going on there.
  • While the concept of keeping training short was introduced, I felt that during the down stay that the exercise was being moved forward too fast for the dog before that 100% understanding happened, and that Mr Frawley agreed was necessary.  
  • Corrections seemed sloppy and ill planned, and especially unfortunate was the leash used in the beginning phases of this particular (sit and down) training.
Of course, I do have far less experience and accomplishments than Mr Frawley.   Seeing him in person could totally change my perspective on this years down the road. In going over my educational materials now, however, I feel that other DVDs have been better done for dog training.   They are often not the most exciting DVDs in the world, especially if this is not your work and interest, but I found this DVD hard to get through.   I do have others of his that I am interested in reviewing, especially the one on puppies.

Every dog trainer has a preferred method, equipment, and ways that they go about training a dog or puppy.   There are indeed many ways to skin this cat, and much of it really has to do with how patient and consistent a dog owner and trainer is, as well as their work ethic.   Here are some points where I do agree with his method or like on the DVD:

  1. It does appear that he works with green or untrained dogs on this video, which is refreshing.
  2. He promotes motivation.
  3. He uses markers such as yes, and I use these too although just a bit differently (think hot and cold).   I use mine more for distance work, and he starts off up close.   I might use something like his method to teach attention especially for obedience trials or a working/companion dog.
  4. He uses a prong collar, which I feel is an acceptable training collar.
  5. He does not think head halties and the like are training tools.
  6. He does believe that their needs to be a consequence or correction (once the dog knows what they are doing) in order to complete most training.
  7. He believes distraction training is essential.   So do I, because I want the most full life possible for a dog.
Where our philosophies would differ:
  1. I was very surprised to hear Ed Frawley label Koehler method as "yank and crank".   No doubt others not familiar with the actual method of KMODT would not be surprised.   In my opinion yanking and cranking using this method would be using this method incorrectly.   I base that on seminars taken with Margot Woods, who was a Koehler student back in the day.
  2. Ed Frawley believes that the traditional metal training collar (IE choke collar) is dangerous and should never be used.   I believe that if you know how to use the tradition metal training collar, it is a far more elegant and easy tool to use (without yanking or cranking) in order to prepare for off leash work and competition.   Remember the handler always has control over the level of correction, and ANY tool including a leash can be used incorrectly and abusively.
  3. The DVD shows dogs on a longe line far more and for different uses than I would prefer to use my longe line for.  This makes for sloppy (again in my opinion) communication to the dog in those stationary exercises, where I prefer the communication to be slow, patient, clear, and steady.
  4. I disagree that a dog can not enjoy a one hour training session.   Mr Frawley believes that 15 minutes can be too long.  The reason that I disagree with this is that often my dogs are enjoying the time and adventure we are having.   I agree that doing this in a row all the time, and especially if it starts to get boring would not be productive.   In training the foundation, it is often times necessary to spend that time with the dog.
  5. I thought the corrections that Ed Frawley did give were ill timed and in the "crank and yank" vein.
  6. Ed Frawley believes praise should rarely be used as the sole reward, and I believe food is the one rarely used, as their is so much more to life.   Plus many frequently used training treats can cause unforeseen health problems.
  7. He claims that most residency or Board/Train dog programs are too harsh and rely too much on submission.   There are some trainers that promote these "rushed" training programs, but many professional trainers who know what they are doing train appropriately in their residency program.  
My main problem with the DVD was that it was like looking at a bad recipe.   Some cooking books have very detailed recipes and places that tell you what techniques are exactly (IE poaching, simmer, ET).   Then their are bad cookbooks where the recipes may not have been tested, and are not as detailed in the techniques used.   Dog training is not hard or rocket science, but it is very detailed if you want to go about it in the most effective and efficient manner.

The DVD did not make me want to put Ed Frawley at the top of my "to see in person" list.   Adjectives that I would use are repetitive, sloppy, and dull.   I do not think this can be a true representation of his skills based upon his bios and reputation.

I do not recommend this DVD, but I remain open about Ed Frawley in particular.

NOTE:   MY VIDEO IS FAIRLY OLD AND COULD HAVE BEEN UPDATED SINCE THIS ONE WAS FIRST PUBLISHED.   IN OTHER WORDS THE ONE THEY SELL ONLINE NOW, MAY HAVE BEEN REVAMPED OR COMPLETELY DONE OVER.

In reviewing the site information for Leerburg and the current videos being produced, I did however find that Michael Ellis videos for sale might be of interest.   What I was able to preview seemed to be a communication style and presentation style more to my liking.  Leerburg has a sample of his lecture to be on a new video.

http://www.mannerlymutts.com/
http://mannerlymutts.blogspot.com/
MANNERLY_MUTT@YAHOO.COM

1 comment:

F EdFraw said...

the guy is never train a police dog and never wil will. Ask hi He is not a part of the Wisconsin State canine handler He is not a part of the Wisconsin State canine handlers Association it' it's a shame that is HAC even sells videos he's a condescending idiot look at all the blocks look at all the reviews the guy needs to just stay with what he does best s******* his pants