Saturday, January 8, 2011

2011 Goals

In 2010 I completed my goals of 1) completing Companion Dog Titles on Bri and Magoo and 2) keeping my business income in line with last year. The description of goal one was that I complete titles on dogs that are not mine and not living with me.  I also wanted to bring in breeds that I seldom see in the trials around here in the obedience ring.  I have to finish up the third goal during Jan to March this year, as I petered out in 2010. This goal was to complete my certification papers for IACP and NADOI.

In 2011, in addition to completing my outstanding 2010 third goal, I want to 1) Score in the 190s in AKC Novice with Magoo and related to this get an indoor score that is acceptable, as I have a phobia of indoor trials (we already earned Companion Dog) before 2) complete a CDX, also known as Open, on Magoo (I have never trained a working retrieve before and have started with Magoo OR jump and return on command for that matter) 3) complete Novice for my dog, Boris, in UKC (he is an amputee and another first for me as far as training) and 4) continue on with Leon's training so he will be engaged and working as my demo dog (we've been working on retrieves, tricks, stationary, and anything that comes to mind, but well so they can be done in front of the public on command Or that is what we have been working on).


Jackie Companion Dog 2003-2009


Jackie Companion Dog 2003-2009 Owned, handled and trained by Mannerly Mutts

Bri, Companion Dog owned handled and trained by Mannerly Mutts

Magoo Companion Dog handled and trained by Mannerly Mutts

My business goal remains the same for 2011, but is going to be particularly challenging.   We will have a few clients no longer needing in depth training services or daycare services.   Additionally, with the economy right now, if a dog can stay home, dog owners are keeping dogs home.  This is not so much a problem for us as we are going to continue to only take on training clients as daycare clients, AND it's one part of the business where I earn the least but spend the most time.   It's about time to keep our daycare program on the same level or potentially phase out all together.   However, the need for quality training grows as people are spending more time at home and with their dogs.

So in 2011, we will be rolling out our Group Classes this year.   It seems timely for all of the reasons above.   I am still not sure whether I will limit this to only clients that have trained individually with me OR open it up to the public at large.   People who have trained with me know the safety concerns I have, and why I will be quite harsh with people who threaten the safety of the class (and I mean humans and canines).    Our group class will be different as it will not be confined to indoors or on my property, just as the private classes are not.   I will most likely need an assistant for these classes.   We will see.

Looking forward to a full year in 2011 and much success with our clients:)

http://www.mannerlymutts.com/
http://mannerlymutts.blogspot.com/
mannerly_mutt@yahoo.com

No comments: