Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Personal Observations on The Case of Gigi


Gigi is a very sweet and loving dog. Her aggression is a sign of extreme fear. She is 4-5 years old (estimated) and came from a rescue approximately 8 months ago in Washington DC. So there is no history on her.

I have volunteered in the shelter system for several years, a little less than one being in a training situation. One very important thing that I learned, is not the why. Why Gigi has ended up this way has nothing to do with the solution. Would it be helpful if we knew, maybe a bit, but in the end we aren't going to. So, we need to move the dog on from there, instead of trapping them in their fearful state forever. Some people live like this, and I don't know how they do it. It's far easier to get the dog beyond their fear, and able to be out in public having fun with the owner.

We do know this 1) she is aggressing towards dogs 2) her owners have found her also to be snarky around strange men, and 3) they don't trust her around children. So the goal now, is what is the best way to get Gigi from point A to point Z. Gigi may never be "Lassie" or she may. One thing in working with Gigi that I have become fairly certain of is that she will improve. She is lying next to me as I type this with my other three dogs around. Not spinning on the leash, or trying to bite anything near her, but in a fairly calm if somewhat interested state. I actually like the interest today, as yesterday she was in complete avoidance of what she feared, and it's important to move the dog beyond avoidance. So now what she is understanding is that looking is not going to bring on an attack.

This may sound odd for a dog that has initiated attacks before coming here. In Gigi's mind, it's been her job to defend herself, which she sees as being the first to strike. I used this strategy myself after Junior High with a bully I saw in High School. They needed to drag me off her, and that's how I met my music conductor LOL. I don't think I got in trouble for it, now that I think back. I made my point though. That's what Gigi is trying to do, but she is assuming the dog is out to get her.

It's a matter of building a relationship that is a partnership in trust and respect. I have certain duties to Gigi while she is in my company, and she is being taught her duties to me. We both have roles that we need to fulfill. My most important role to Gigi is to let her know that she is safe in whatever circumstance I put her in. I have done this by having her 1) in contact with strange dogs, 2) scoping out the situation in public whether dogs are loose or leashed, and 3) being prepared and ready to step in if a situation that Gigi isn't ready for presents itself.

Gigi needs to 1) pay attention whether a door slams or a car passes or a dog is present 2) heel and beware of where I am and where I am going all the time and 3) maintain position and not veer. Obeying commands means that Gigi is not aggressing by definition of the commands.

She is not the most aggressive dog to come through here, although I have worn my jeans for two days out of the hottest of the year. The reason for that? Her want to bite the leash tells me that she could redirect, although she will probably very much inhibit her bite. I bruise easily as it is. The closest that she has come is to press her muzzle against my leg, but she has not gone beyond that point. This is very good news, Gigi is showing restraint and trust, but also that she is an independent girl not prone to follow just anyone . I am used to that in the girls.

The key to having that not ramp up into something else is to appear unimpressed even as you consider which body part you would rather she bite. Although, in Gigi's case, I am pretty sure that "bite" isn't the right word as she is just not going to use all the force she can. Since I am a stranger to her, this is very good news to her owners. A deflection did happen to her male owner on the morning of her arrival. It was the first time for her. He was pulling her down into a down while she was in the middle of a tantrum for seeing another dog.

The great thing about proper equipment and reading the dog, is that it can keep you safe 98% of the time, assuming you don't take on a dog that's too much for you. However, that's part of reading the dog. Any bite or deflection is usually the fault of the handler. It could be because attention wandered, correction too hard, correction to soft, no correction, reward timed badly, and on and on.

That being said, Gigi is doing very very well on day two. She is a very fun and sweet dog, who just needs to be convinced that the dog population is not out to get her. As simple as that sounds, there are steps and much work to be done to get there.

She is seeming to really enjoy the training walks, and the fun and freedom it does provide. It's a little limited right now as she needs to remain in control to learn the rules. It appears she is enjoying the companionship and partnership being developed. That she is safest near me and following my directions does appear to be sinking in.

Gigi is a bit of a "love bug" LOL. She has designs on my husband.

What is really cool is the boy dogs have been such a help, beyond listening to the commands of their training. I had them released in the yard this morning as we worked on "sit on the dog". I specifically wanted Gigi to see them in motion. They walked around a bit, and then all three sit around us in a circle. Clearly, it was pack communication. "See Gigi, just be like this, all will be well." At the end, Leon was making googly eyes at her as he laid on his side pawing the grass. She was very relaxed with front paws crossed. I will write later on about todays lessons, but clearly today she has been much less worried about the dogs that live and visit here.

No comments: