Friday, December 11, 2009

Training Here, There and Everywhere!!


Magoo is in training for AKC Novice.  We are still working on public performance before signing him up for his first trial.   I will need to see if there are any run thrus or matches (during winter here, that is a rare thing) that we can go into before our first attempt.   Worse comes to worse, we will use the crowd in Fitchburg to start to prepare him.

Right now, I have been taking him into the cities of Portsmouth and Kittery to prepare him for flexi pulling or off leash dogs that may run up to us.   He is a one year old puppy of 155 pounds right now.   The main thing he needs to know is that it is not playtime all the time.   Can you imagine this guy dragging someone down the street to play with some strange leashed dog?   I assure you he has the strength to do such a thing.

He's my big pink nosed spotted bunny.   The other problem?   Magoo is like bringing out a huge bowl of candy, and then asking that nobody take any.   It's fairly annoying to train him out in public, as some people just won't leave you alone.   If I am out in public with a well mannered dog, the public thinks I am not training as it looks so easy.   In fact, I am concentrating and paying attention.   That is why I have a well mannered dog with me.   People don't pay me so that their dogs look ill mannered.

When we were in Kittery this summer doing this but with less commands to work with, a family told me how happy they were that he was training with me as I was "so kind to him".   A lot of the time I am made to feel, by people who neither have met me in person or seen me, that I might have some horns peeking out under my hair.   It almost brought me to tears that this person, who was watching me train, said that.  Then their are people that don't understand why you would be training at all, if this isn't going to be a service dog, sigh.   Oh well.  I can only assume that perhaps they don't live with dogs.




No comments: