Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Hoobie Out of Crate Progress

So we have made progress on Hoobie's out of crate etiquette. Note the first video is without his food bowl in the crate.




Next video shows how food in the crate can affect his behavior, and we are working with this as well:)



I would say one out of three times he gives me exactly what I want right now on out of crate. He has started doing okay on back in crate. I will try to get a video of that tomorrow.

So the main progress week one in the behavior department has been :

1) Not pressed against bars growling and snapping for every interaction, and the start of an understanding on correct out of the crate behavior.
2) Start of back in the crate okay behavior.
3) Beginning to elect to be close to me and greet my hand more and more often. Where he was at the end of the 15 foot leash before or at the end of the six foot, he is closer and closer in now by his own election.
4) Muzzled, he is more excepting of touch without blowing up. Also easier to calm back down after he starts going into his tantrum period.

The other side, training has had progress in:

1) Following me on longe line now rather than steadfastly remaining on a different course.
2) Electing to hang out near me when in the quiet portion of longe line.
3) Settles down into sit on the dog exercise in about a few seconds inside, and about 15 minutes around daycare or outside.

Good progress all around. I will take it!!

Mannerly Mutts Dog Training
Mannerly Mutts Blog
mannerly_mutt@yahoo.com

4 comments:

Matt said...

These are really interesting videos. Are hoobie's health problems under control enough that he won't sort of have relapses in that area? He's a beautiful dog.

Matt
doxienews.com

Robin said...

I think the ones that are known are under control. Hoobie hasn't relapsed into bowel movement and throwing up problems here due to his digestive issues.

Thyroid, I wish there was a measure for knowing whether a dog is feeling pain when you touch them. I feel for flinching and that sort of thing, but dogs can be stoic in that area. Normally those are the dogs that also don't lash out, but they make these guys in all flavors (G).

Hoobie is beautiful, and I see his sweet side too. I so understand the owners wanting this dog around, just not biting at every movement and touch.

The good news is that Hoobie is VERY predictable. That means it's probably not neurological. It also means he can be handled so that he can be taught, somewhat safely.

The other good news is, it is not uncommon for Springers to work totally against you LOL. Very nice breed, but whether it's cheerfully or fearfully, they will work to wear you down. Many dogs don't realize that I can totally out stubborn them, especially when it's for there own good so they can get home and live a happy life.

Anonymous said...

Amen to that! Our Hannah was the Queen of Stubborn, but Robin tamed her and now she is the Princess of Obedience (pretty much). You are doing great with Hoobie - we are rooting for you!

Robin said...

LOL, Hannah almost killed me. OMG, I needed a month off after her (and she was only here for three weeks). And don't even get me started on Kate! She's who I think of when I think of a dog cheerfully wearing you down....to a nub.

You guys have done such a great job of keeping the work going, and now those two are of a few of the very easiest boarders:)

Hoobies owners actually got to see Hannah and Leon hanging out through the door to the kitchen from the mudroom.