Tuesday, February 10, 2009

JUDGE ME BASED ON MY CLIENT'S PERFORMANCE?

I just can't help myself today. I was reading one of the Dogstardaily's blogger's (I don't know yet if this particular post is on Dogstardaily.com) dog training blogs. In the this post, she complains about dog trainers being required to actually teach obedience skills in a measurable forum, and asks instead to be judged on her and her client's performance.

Not so long ago she proudly posted the following pictures and videos of her client's GRADUATION in a completely quiet gym at a school. No other dogs around, people, nothing. It should be a pretty stunning video of the end of a client's sessions, right? I'll let you decide.

http://k-9solutionsdogtraininginc.blogspot.com/2008/10/danno-graduates.html

Now if I had to judge a trainer based on this FINISHED product, I am not so impressed. Also a lot of trainers feel, as this one did, that if only they were interested in the sport, of course their dog could do it LOL. It's maddening that some people can't see their limits, or that they have limits. I readily admit that I have mine, and therefore, have referrals if necessary. Not having done this yet, they don't understand how the precision and handling help their client. For instance, this trainer could have let their client know that shoulders straight and walking briskly forward brings the dog forward. They would also understand that they lost the leash too soon, or did not properly train a heel position. Behind the owner and lagging is not heel position. I could tell the owner wanted the dog in heel, that's why they angled back to look. If they were doing that with an on leash heel, it will tend to drive the dog backwards not forwards just by body language.

On another trainer's site, here are some videos that show the BEGINNINGS (I couldn't find it, but there was one of his whole class working in a parking lot or something off an airport!!!) of another's training. I don't know this person personally, but I know impressive training when I see it. I also know happy dogs when I see them.

These are two extremes of trainers clearly. However, I think it's fairly important to know how to yourself, and show your clients how to train their dogs for distracting situations. In an empty gymnasium (and if you are showing something you are proud of) this should be a no brainer. If a trainer can't do this for you, and push you to your very best for the partnership and enhanced life of you and your dog, then you are wasting your money.

A trainer that had done the work of competing, might also notice how the precision and timing help and improve the behavior modification as well. And socializing, and performance, and relationships.....

9 comments:

Marie said...

If you read the post is says it is video of him during training and new off leash work.

Robin said...

Clearly, you took him off the leash before he learned the proper position, OR the owner learned the right handling skills.

No matter, sloppy work on the trainer's part is just as good, I guess.

Robin said...

Also the post was titled "graduation" and it wasn't clear that the training being shown of the last of six lesson (could be a good clue right there why a dog shouldn't be doing off leash skills yet) wasn't being done on graduation day. Regardless, it is a good demonstration of what most unknowledgable trainers and the customers that unfortunately go to them don't realize, there are a bunch of steps to do before off leash that include a certain level of performance.

Off leash requires some commitment and responsibility, because in real life, that's where the bus can hit the dog. An owner thinks he is all prepared and has done his work, but the sloppiness and non caring of the trainer of what that might bring forward in the future is already paid for.

So what does it matter to you?

The Smiling Frog said...

wow you're unbelievably rude and insulting!

Anonymous said...

It's all so childish!

Robin said...

What is rude and insulting is to downgrade others who seek to improve themselves and their craft.

I worry about the future of dog ownership in this area, and what other trainers do or put out there as their professional skills effects all of us, sadly. Especially when they are writing on places like Dogstardaily.com, as if they are experts or have the kind of accomplishments other dog trainers have.

Just because one trainer has been unable to complete Rally, though has tried, and other trainers have and kept up on their other skills, does not mean she/he is correct in saying being able to pass a test on dog training skills is not important.

Of course it is. There is NO reason a professional dog trainer can not heel, stand, sit, down, and stay their dog in a ring environment. This is NOT advanced training.

The position of heel is an elementary move. If someone is going to be asked to be judged based on their performance, they should be able to handle the truth. Marie did not disagree with my assessment.

She could simply post a video showing a correct heel, perhaps with her own dog? Otherwise, it's pretty clear that those rudimentary skills that a professional dog trainer should have are lacking.

There is a reason for a semblance of precision and care when handling and training a dog. While dog owners may not get it the first time around, AT THE LEAST the trainer working with them (and taking money to train a heel) should.

Marie said...

"What is rude and insulting is to downgrade others who seek to improve themselves and their craft."

Robin do you not understand that by attacking me personally, as evidenced by this post, you are doing exactly that? And have I done that to you? If you believe so I would like to see the proof, because that has never been my intent. I am happy to let other people read our posts and draw their own conclusions. I think the words speak for themselves. Disagreeing with a trainer is one thing, attacking them over and over is quite another, and in my opinion is extrememly unprofessional.

I am sorry if you do not agree with how I try to improve myself by the seminars I attend. As to the demonstration of my skills, well perhpas I will work on some videos to share. Remember what they say, be careful what you wish for.

My opinion on not showing is simply an opinion. I did not mean to downgrade those who do at all. It was simply to point other other considerations.

It has nothing to do with passing a test to be a dog trainer. I just don't agree that competeing is the be all and end all of testing skills. It would be nice if we could simply agree to disagree but you seem to not be happy with that. I would love to know the reason I have become your target of hatred. Really. Because it is becoming very very sad.

Robin said...

Your ego is clearly getting in the way of your rational. I am not attacking you, I am giving you the input that you clearly asked for on your public blog.

If you can't stand the heat, simply stay out of the kitchen, and don't ask people to judge you LOL, especially based on your performance, if that is not what you want.

What have you done to me? Nothing, but you harm the profession in my opinion. That is obvious to me. You could rectify that by improving your skills and understanding of training.

But that doesn't interest you...

I will decide when I am downgrading myself or others thanks. And you will not see my customers needing to rush to my defense by posting on your blog.

Why don't you instead just prove your "talents"? If you don't want input, don't post places publically. Do you think I only interact with you and follow just your blog? LOL. You aren't that important in the scheme of things, the danger is that you think you are, and give advice without learning anything about which you are talking about.

To promote ignorance in dog training is to hurt the dog training profession, hence the dogs owned by people who listen to such drivel.

Robin said...

In order to hate you, I would have to care something about you. Again it's that IMO you are hurting the dog training profession and the people that seek help with dog training.

It is my right to disagree with you, and answer public posts.

Oh, yeah, I will be careful what I wish for LOL. I hope you do put up a stellar video. It would be nice to know you do understand how to train a heel not only in a quiet open area, but perhaps in a distracting setting, gasp.