Saturday, February 23, 2008

Jackie Aggression Log

Jack has been very good for about a month or so. I am going to have to look back in my logs. I have noticed that as the boarding count ramps up, so does Jack. It starts with him attempting to mark everything. I have noticed lately, that he does not so much redirect anymore over jealousy over me (that seems under control), but the most recent incident, yesterday, I think was over his female and Great Dane friend, Roxy.

So yesterday, everyone is playing in the Master Bedroom, and Jack starts going after Harley.   He stops when corrected, but whirls around and actually grabs Leon by the neck.   Now, I unfortunately freaked when he did that, as I think he is biting maybe tearing.  All sorts of thoughts are going through my head.   Primarily that I don't want my poor undeserving dog, Leon, hurt.   He's the sweetest and softest dog and he does not deserve Jack's angst.   Jack knows not to redirect towards me, and Leon is his punching bag if he can get away with it.   Otherwise, they are very good friends.



So I don't even know how I got Jack off of him.   Quick examination of Leon shows no marks, and so I heel Jack to the crate, where he spent most of yesterday.  I think Jack grabbed him near his ear, as that seemed sore but not punctured yesterday.   Probably mostly bruised.   So now I need to remember what I tell my clients about bite inhibition, "if you don't find yourself in the emergency room, you aren't doing horribly".   That doesn't mean I was pleased (by any means) with Jackie.



He's been doing good in the run thrus, and our trial is scheduled for February 29th.   Luckily this always happens in close proximity and interactive play where I am involved, and not in working situations.   It's the territorial thing that kicks in at home.   



With Jack, it's so aggravating because you find he makes so much progress, and then he will backslide like this big time.

No comments: