Friday, July 21, 2006

Complaint to York Maine Police

Hello,


Roll_over_012_1


I am a dog trainer and owner in York Beach Maine.   I was out with my dogs this morning before 8am off leash.   A Sergeant walked up to me & my husband and stated that the dogs were supposed to be leashed.


Roll_over_009_1


When we first said, the ordinance clearly states between 6am and 8am dogs can be off leash, he belligerently stated otherwise.  By the way, my dogs were seated and are viewed by many on many mornings during training sessions where they are in voice control.  And so that was not in issue.


Roll_over_011_1


Finally, after suggesting he take a walk with me and read the ordinance, he relented and made a "somewhat" apology.   Then claimed he got the times of day mixed up.  This is after belligerently saying otherwise to us a few times.   


Being that I obey the leash laws to the letter (if after 6pm I am on the beach with my dogs, they are leashed) and I see many a tourist out there with their unleashed dog, this is very distressing to me.   There seem to be no officers out there enforcing the law, and because I am obeying the leash law (as I was this morning) my dogs and I are enjoying the beach less than non-tax paying tourists.


Additionally, the beach is disgusting with cigarette butts, juice containers and condoms, which I am forced to look out for so my dogs can be told to "leave it" so they don't digest such trash on the beach.


As a law abiding citizen, please allow me to enjoy the few minutes of lawful off leash time with my dogs in the morning without harassment.  Please see that police officers are dispatched and know the laws in the area so that those not obeying the leash laws can be fined.


Thank you,


Robin

No comments: