Monday, March 11, 2013

The Magic Wand Or The Affect of Extremist Politics in Dog Training


Let me ask you a question, what does dog training mean to you or your dog training clients? To some it means tricks that might distract a dog out of a situation short term. To some it means no work. When they call a trainer, what they are really asking for is the "magic wand" solution.   That is a solution that does not require any inconvenience, time, patience, or practice on their part.



Magic wands come in all sizes and shapes, and sometimes are just verbal tips. This is very frustrating to a dog trainer, because our definition of dog training is different. Dog training focuses on the long term relationship, and long term communication between owner and dog. This does not come in a shake can, a spray bottle, an electronic collar, a metal training collar, a prong collar, a way of speaking loudly, an alpha roll, treats being given constantly, or the clicker. That being said, that does not mean these are not all tools used in DOG TRAINING. However, dog training is a bit more than that. A vast majority of the general public really does not get it. They will say things like "my dog already sits" or "my dog comes when called" but there's always that except. Sometimes it's "except when they like to go for a dip in a lake". Sometimes it's "except when they are lunging and growling at another dog". If these are things you would like to fix, I do have a magic wand to sell you, but it won't do the job for you. Hence, since I am an ethical trainer, I will not sell you my magic wand.



There are trainers that will. If that is what you seek, I can provide the names and numbers of those trainers for you......gladly. I want to work with owners that are seeking a long term and permanent solution to the problem they are having. I want owners that want to work with and enjoy their dog as they build onto that relationship. I do not have time for owners that are setting themselves up to fail from the get go, and won't even try and grasp what is being told to them. I can't speak over some one for an hour long lesson, and there isn't enough money that I can charge that would make me want to do that. People who do not follow thru on training may put me and other dogs in danger. The last thing I want is for them to say they trained with me!!! Now if a training plan needs to be tweaked or changed, I am hip to that, and I look for those opportunities as no two dogs are the same.



The previous statement is also why I never give a training plan or attempt to train or diagnose a problem over the phone. You really need to meet the dog, and may not get a full picture of the dog for a few weeks. If I am doing hour weekly coaching sessions, it may be very hard to get a full picture of the dog, but the dog is right in front of me while the owners are describing their difficulties. Trainers who diagnose problems over the phone, and have not met the dog are being unethical IMO. I would rather they do that, than me.



Because training takes time, I do not offer one or two sessions. Packages may be purchased six at a time for private training lessons (understanding that basic training is usually done in 12 weeks), or three weeks at a time for Board & Train packages. If I want to see if the dog has something beyond what I am capable of dealing with, I offer free consultation at my facility or the client's home depending on the problem (and usually with directions for keep everyone safe). Then I can give out trainers names that may be able to help with the problem, but also do not deal in the "magic wand" business.


Sadly, much dog training has been downgraded by the reluctance to teach or require your dog to do anything. This has caused the "easy fix" ideas. You know, if they work, hey great!!! Most times that people are calling me, is because the "easy fixes" have not worked. I am including tools that I use as "easy fixes" when used incorrectly by people. The problem is the extremist (one minded one thing fixes all) trainers jump on this as proof that tools (alone) make dogs aggressive or unreliable, not realizing it's the lack of TRAINING, patience, and time that can cause these results. This is the reason that I do not sell tools to people who are not training with me. In fact, the determination to sell them one or not comes only after they have shown that they can use the training (with time, patience and consistency) correctly, and have TRAINED their dogs beyond just a trick performance that can only happen in the privacy of a kitchen without guests.  With proper training, reading of the dog, appropriate tools for owner and dog, these types of things just do not generally happen. But are their guaranteed ways to make this happen? You betcha. Please do seek a professional for training purposes, and not so they sell you a "magic wand". Groups like "Truly Dog Friendly" (TDF), Humane Society of The United States (HSUS), and People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) are setting up the public to believe there is less to dog training (or no dog training required or no dogs required) than there is, and that is a dangerous message. It can have horrible consequences for both dogs and their owners.



If you are serious about training your dog in the York Beach Maine area, please call dog trainer, Robin Rubin at 207-361-4395. All other inquiries (and training inquiries also) can be e-mailed to mannerly_mutt@yahoo.com. Mannerly Mutts is committed to our client's success, and the successful development of a dog and owner bond.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you want your dog to listen to you it is very necessary to have an effective communication such as:

1. Sit: In the training session you should make a dog to sit when you commanded is very important.
2. Stay: After teaching the word "Sit", you should teach him stay. If he is running away from you, Stay command will helps to take a control on your dog.
3. No: The word No also have equal importance. If the dog understands this word, then dog will come to know immediately what to do or not.
"Dog Training"