Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Kong Tugger Knot Review

Puppy playgroup going in at Petco, which I was heeling Leon
around.  
I have been doing a lot of training via tug toys and other toys with my dogs, Boris and Leon.   Leon is fairly easy on toys, and Boris is very hard on toys.   Most of the tug toys have only been used for training in order to keep them in a useable condition for as long as possible.

I also train at least once a week at a Portsmouth Petco.   Sundays are particularly busy for instance last weekend they had a vaccination clinic.   Lots and lots of cute puppies and dogs were waiting in line.   I believe everyday at about 2 pm on Sundays there is a puppy play group too.   This can be challenging to dogs to train around.   The staff at Petco is very friendly as well.   So I keep some cash on hand to pick something up.   Since I can buy my training or daycare toys in bulk, I will try out a new toy first at Petco.   I consider buying something there each time as a kind of rent.   We buy most of our petfood items and such at Ann-imals to support our local pet supply store.

So I saw Kong's Tugger Knot toy, and it looked like a good idea.   The rope goes all the way through.   Leon and Boris both like to play tug together.   Even though I like to keep the tugging mostly to training right now, I don't like to eliminate games entirely that my dogs like to do together.   I figured the first part of this toy that would go would probably be the rope, but if I managed the play (by being interactive with them and making sure Boris didn't stop and chew it) that it would last at least a week.   This cost me about 13.00 of my pin money.  Plus Kong makes great rubber toys, and I hoped the same care would be shown in this toy.  


Kong's Tugger Knot Toy



The first thing to go however (in the first day BTW) was a seam in the animal portion of the toy.   I think the knots are so big inside that it was easy to burst out.  While my dogs can still use this toy, this was a dissapointment. It would have been one thing if my dogs had intentionally ripped open the toy, but I was sure that we were all constantly in motion playing with it as it should be played with.

While this toy looked sturdy, it was a fail for my dogs.


No comments: