Thursday, October 13, 2011

Doberman Nationals 2011 Fitchburg Ma

Very last minute heard that the Doberman Nationals were going on in Fitchburg Ma from September 30th 2011 to October 8th 2011.   Because I will be purchasing a female Doberman in 2-3 years (and cause I love Dobermans and love to see a whole bunch of them in one area LOL), made a special effort to make sure we went.   I picked a day where some regional obedience events were being held, as I have an interest in obedience sports.

As it happened, I bumped into Terry Christie of Canine Magic.   We both apprenticed at Doberman Rescue many years back.  I met her dog, Cobey, when he was a puppy.   Recently, he needed to have a leg amputated, and was happy to hear there was some video of him on YouTube with updates.







So happy for Terry and Cobey! This is the other fun thing about going to dog events, volunteering ET, you get to meet great people and catch up with them. I had actually seen Terry at a previous DRU picnic, but had not put it together, as she was with a three legged dog (last time I saw Cobey he was four legged).

Please forgive me, as I did not think to take any pictures of the event. I left my pocketbook in the trunk of the car, which had my camera, and then just got to engaged to go and retrieve it later:( I really wish that I had taken some pictures.

I did watch the obedience events (Utility and Open were going on when we got there) for about a half an hour or so. Saw a dog named Isis doing some beautiful jumps. Also a very leggy blue male with natural ears doing his retrieves in our corner, doing his job even as he gave us a sideways glance and grin. Very nice work. Unfortunately, won't be able to show Boris of the three legs there (he needs to participate with the UKC ), BUT someday when my female princess comes we may do that trial. Years and years off...

The AKC hosts the trials at the Doberman Nationals, and so Boris would be considered "lame" there (Boris just has three legs, but he has no trouble walking, running OR jumping ).   I had a very nice time watching the exhibitors in Open and Utility.  It is a pretty quiet venue, although two rings were going side by side.  This was sectioned off from the conformations going on at the other side of the building.   Not a bad venue if one is looking for an indoor semi quiet trial.   Course this is different than the annual Fitchburg trials that are not specialty LOL (very busy and not at all quiet, and great if you are training for that--next one November 2011).   Saw my very first obedience dog trial there, and have been hooked and striving for the inspiring performance ever since!  (trainer was with a Boston Terrier, and I have no idea who she was, but she was great)

Sorry got off topic regarding the Doberman Nationals of 2011.  (Point was)  If I had a Doberman with four legs (physical legs of course) who was ready to trial, but perhaps not ready for the busier November trials, I would definitely sign up for these Doberman National trials in Fitchburg MA.   The Collie Club trials in Portland Maine are somewhat similar (and they have an all breed day) in the business factor.  I love those trials to for a dog just getting used to these venues.  I would recommend it.  If you get a chance to do this with your Doberman, I would go.   You will meet other enthusiastic Doberman owners, who love doing things with their dogs (course the day of the event they may be kinda tense LOL).

The vendors were great, and I only wish that I had known about it sooner.   I would have attended some seminars (though I probably would have to become a member, which I am doing now).   There were even online streamed seminars for those that could not attend on a certain day.

http://www.mannerlymutts.com/
http://mannerlymutts.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

Leslie Michell-Young said...

Robin, Thank you for your wonderful comments about the Nationals and my dear friends, Terry and Cobey. I had the honor of being Cobey's Case Manager at Special Needs Dobermans, and I cannot tell you how overjoyed I am about his remarkable recovery or his amazing family. I am an old friend of DRU myself, and have adopted two of my Dobes from there...Paisley is now 12 years old and still happy and strong.

So glad you enjoyed the Nationals...some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen!

Les Michell Young