Friday, March 26, 2010

Does a Dog Need to Be Idiot Proof?

Or should idiots own dogs? Much like having children, it is impossible to mandate that only parents who will be responsible and compassionate can have children. I am sure that we all wish we could mandate it, but we can't.

Even so, people who can not make responsible choices and look out for the living and breathing beings in their home should not own goldfish nevermind a dog IMHO. Perhaps even a cactus would be too much for someone who is irresponsible and possibly too narcistic to care properly for a dog.

Maybe I am an odd duck, but the individuality of dogs is why I like them. Working through different problems with them is such a lifechanging and rewarding accomplishment for the human. Since we humans have decided to domestic dogs, cats, and other animals; I believe it's our solemn responsibiity to provide not only food, exercise, shelter, and medical care----but to provide for their emotional well being as well.

I am of the opinion that if I decide to take a dog into my home, and let's say they are not quite what I expected....it's my responsibility to make them fit in. That is unless my family or myself are in immediate and real danger from the dog. In picking or rescueing this dog, I have made a commitment and a promise to them. It's totally my job to make it work for the dog (or cat or fish or ferrett...).

If the dog is fearful of people, I can't say something like "wow I don't feel comfortable keeping people at a distance from this dog". Isn't that a horribly selfish and self serving statement? If you could keep everyone safe just by being assertive, one wouldn't do that for the good of their dog?

I feel it's my responsibility not only to keep people safe, but to win the trust of this dog so that they will be more accepting of people. If the dog has a medical problem, it's my job to try and solve that for the dog. If the dog does not have as much energy as I expected, it's my job to make sure the dog has some sort of stimulation during the day.

Many people are not idiots about dogs. And I personally don't think of the public that does not know any better around dogs as idiots. They are just people that need the explanation that not every dog wants to be dashed up to, cornered, and petted. Education to the public is another great reason for working with a dog that may not be "bomb proof", as opposed to idiot proof. An idiot to me is someone who lets the collar grow into the dogs neck, or forgets to feed their dog regularly, or just has never taken their dog to the vet. Perhaps that is even worse than an idiot, but someone totally without regard for the well being of another life. They IMO should never own dogs.

Requiring rescues to be "idiot proof" is like requiring bred dogs to be idiot proof. And now you go down the slippery slope of culling or making lifers of most adult rescue dogs. I am not a fan of culling in eithr bred dogs or rescue dogs. I also do not recognize a difference in the two, other than the support of the breeder and stacking your odds in terms of temperament and health (which are important). However, so many environmental or accidental things can happen to change the course of a dog or puppy's personality.

I would like to think that one positive and outside influence that could change a dog's life for the better is the new owner or foster home. Instead of requiring these dogs to have no flaws at all, perhaps celebrating and embracing those flaws is the answer?

1 comment:

Winterskiprincess said...

http://mainepets.mainetoday.com/blogentry.html?id=18558

This posting was inspired by the above posting from a local dog "trainer" and "rescuer".