Friday, July 1, 2011

Looking for options on changing dog foods-we do unfortunately have a budget

My dogs have been on Innova since we purchased Boris from Doberman Rescue Unlimited one and a half years ago.   Doberman Rescue Unlimited does a lot of research on their food, and I trust their opinions (in fact I will most likely send them an e-mail regarding this).   However, Proctor and Gamble have taken over this brand (Innova), and it is expected that they will change the formula to inferior ingredients, as they have with all the other dog food brands that they have acquired.
 
Changes in my dogs' digestion have caused me to become suspicious that this has happened already.   Apparently the company does not need to notify you until six months AFTER making a change. Since I am seeing a change in ALL of my dogs' ingestion, I am going to consider myself on notice to change the food from their old brand to be safe.


There are so many ways to feed your dog that your head will start spinning as you research it.   Budget is unfortunately sometimes a factor as well.   In my case, money is indeed tight here.   So I want the very best nutrition that I can give my dogs priced close to what I have been paying a month.   I have priced out a raw type died, and the meat alone costs twice as much per day per dog.   Don't get me wrong here, my dogs are totally worth that.   Just right at this moment money is too tight.   Our own personal grocery bill (as well as our waists) have gone down due to this.  My dogs' bill has stayed the same, and will most likely increase even if we stick to another brand's quality kibble.


One of the more expensive type of diets that I would like to move to is Volhard's.  Here are some resources for being able to either make it all yourself or supplement some of it with pre-made products:


http://www.volharddognutrition.com/
http://www.volhard.com/
September healthy dog conference
Holistic Guide for a Healthy Dog


I plan to use the above information to feed my dog one day.   Perhaps one day soon.   Until then though, I have been trying to select the best kibble brands at a comparable price to what I have been paying, and I am okay if they go over what I have been paying.


Here are some other online FAQs or articles on the raw diet in general  (BARF diet is Bones And Raw Food diet):


http://www.rawlearning.com/rawfaq.html
http://rawlearning.com/
http://leerburg.com/feedingarawdiet.htm
http://www.njboxers.com/faqs.htm

Again, not in the cards right at this moment, but I am researching these ideas, as I would feel better if my dogs were on this sort of diet.  I am probably going to go into it a bit slowly, and am slightly uncomfortable with completely raw as I want to kill anything that might be lurking in raw meat and egg type of products.  So the budget is not the only reason that I am not quite ready to make a drastic switch.

So onward to good quality kibble type foods.   I don't feed my dogs the wet foods, as I believe the kibble is better for their teeth.  My dogs do get sweet potatoes, carrots, apples, bananas, and such as snacks or treats.  They love these sort of treats and they are low fat and healthy for them.  Some online sources that can help you identify the higher quality foods are as follows:

http://dogfoodanalysis.com/
http://www.dogfoodscoop.com/
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/


I find myself feeling a bit easier when I see the same brands listed at the top of each one.   You have to know that some sites will have their own agendas in doing this.   So research, know, learn about the food labels and what they are telling you so that you can use these types of sites to your advantage to help you with your research.

Since I am a professional dog trainer, I have access to my professional associations to bounce ideas off of.  Even if you don't belong to a professional association, you can use dog nutrition boards, your breeder, your trainer, your vet (though they may be pushing certain brands), and rescue groups in the area ET to inquire as to what they have found.   Having a good network of dog people can help point you in the right direction that you have a somewhat frequent contact with.
Finally, why quality dog food, isn't it just food?   We have all heard those terrible reports where contamination in dog food ends up killing pet dogs.  Part of the reason for caution and buying quality is that.   Human balanced nutrition diet helps us remain healthy and active.   It is the same for dogs, they need the nutrients that they need to be fit and healthy.   Sometimes it seems dogs are invincible, but I can assure you working with many dogs, they are not.   You want them fed well with nutrients that nourish their bodies.  The way dogs feel physically has a lot to do with their behavior as well.   Think how crabby we all feel when not eating right or waking from a hangover

I hope this gives others some ideas about checking on their dog's food (interestingly enough many sites have not updated the Innova information since the sale, and some sites immediately took Innova off the top brands of food).  Your dog's food is important, and to get the most nutrition that you can for your buck is important too!

http://www.mannerlymutts.com
http://mannerlymutts.blogspot.com




5 comments:

Robin said...

Sarah Smith
For some reason, I can't "post a comment" to your blog, so will do so here as briefly as I can. I was in the same boat as you described--want to do better, limited by budget. We eventually got to raw but it was a progression. It is extremely affordable (by our estimation using a fancy excel spreadsheet actually CHEAPER than "high quality" kibble) if you buy whole, bulk, and if you want it ground down, do the grinding yourself.

What ultimately got me off kibble was the undeniable fact that even in high quality kibble which you're paying a premium for, the nutrients are cooked to death and there's very little natural, accessible nutrition left from the original "high quality" ingredients. Ultimately, it makes you wonder if the premium price you're paying is really worth it! There is an initial investment if you're going bulk, raw. We ended up buying a meat grinder (about $200), and a chest freezer will probably be in our near future. But we can buy 40 lbs of chicken necks for $21, for example. A 30-lb bag of premium kibble costs around $50. I feed two 60-lb dogs and two cats to give you an idea of how much food I go through and the cost associated with it.

Here is the link to the wholesale, bulk distributer we use. If you can find one in your area, you're halfway there. https://www.sidewalkdog.com/blog/2011/07/beyond-the-pound-inside-minneapolis-animal-care-and-control/#comment-1313

You might also find the Mercola Healthy Pets website helpful. Dr. Karen Becker is a proponent of "species appropriate" diets and often provides information on the topic.

The other resource that I found to be helpful in terms of supplementation is the book Andi Brown: The Whole Pet Diet: Eight Weeks to Great Health For Dogs & Cats, since one of the hesitations many people have in going raw is the fear that they won't be providing a "completed and balanced" diet.

Other unexpected benefits of the raw feeding I found are stools are much smaller and begin to break down to a white, chalky, crumble almost immediately. Since so much of the food is digestible (we don't add grains, just some fruits and vegies) and there are no preservatives. So you don't have big piles of "fresh" looking dog crap in the yard days after it came out, and it doesn't have that offensive smell--it just smells sort of earthy--but not that gut-twisting stench that some dogs' stool seems to have. Also, since there's a lot of natural moisture in the food, there's no dash to the water bowl to fill up after finishing a meal, also makes me less worried about something like bloat since the dogs are being hydrated more naturally while they eat.

My experience so far, anyway. Let me know if you have questions I can answer.

Robin said...

Sarah Smith One more bit: when feeding raw, I believe the formula for determining the amount is roughly 2 to 3% of your dog's body weight per meal, as opposed to what a product label on a bag of kibble might recommend as being a serving size of 1 cup, etc. As you're doing calculations, you'll want to figure that into your raw feeding plan to figure out how much to feed and ultimately how much it will cost per day.
July 1 at 6:25pm · Like.







Sarah Smith Not sure why the link I previously posted to my wholesale meat supplier didn't come through right--let me try again: http://www.rawznaturalpetfood.com/about.html There we go. Sorry about the confusion.

Robin said...

Sarah Smith One more bit: when feeding raw, I believe the formula for determining the amount is roughly 2 to 3% of your dog's body weight per meal, as opposed to what a product label on a bag of kibble might recommend as being a serving size of 1 cup, etc. As you're doing calculations, you'll want to figure that into your raw feeding plan to figure out how much to feed and ultimately how much it will cost per day.
July 1 at 6:25pm · Like.







Sarah Smith Not sure why the link I previously posted to my wholesale meat supplier didn't come through right--let me try again: http://www.rawznaturalpetfood.com/about.html There we go. Sorry about the confusion.

Robin said...

For now, we have officially changed to Taste of the Wild. We are going to look into the additional information that Sarah Smith sent us, and investigate further getting our dogs onto raw.

I have to say, that taste wise, our dogs seem pretty excited about taste of the wild. Leon seemed to have a little skip in his step this morning...

Relieved to be off Innova.

Meg Francoe said...

I feed taste of the Wild right now as well. My cats are on whole prey and I had fed raw to the dogs for a while. I've weighed the actual weight of the TOTW that I feed and to get the same with raw, I would also be doubling the cost per day that I pay now.....times three.I have one dog that is very picky and would rather eat sticks, leaves, horse poop and any remaining horse feed than eat any other raw than chicken and pork. I was worried about the possibility of her making herself ill with all the garbage she was eating due to hunger. I did find a place that sells raw ground mix that would end up running me about double for the dogs...not including shipping...only if I took the hour drive up to pick it up. Robin: I'm going to check out the wholesaler you listed. I don't know if we have something like that here in South Carolina or not though....
Meg