Monday, July 25, 2011

Lessons Learned As A Professional Dog Trainer

Leon and Boris hanging at the flea market.
I always have questions when I am learning.   Experimentation is what I do especially if I am told "it can't happen that way".   I like to know why, and I usually find out.   Then I can impart the reasons to my students instead of just saying "because that is the way I learned it" or "these particular people said it was bad or could not be done".   Instead (after trying and succeeding) I can say "because it confuses the dog when you drop your shoulder but are still going straight" or something along those lines.  I know why to use it, and then why it will not communicate to the dog.   I can answer whether I think a shortcut to training is a good idea or not.  


Sometimes I find that something can work or that if tweaked it can work better for me.   Trainers should continue learning, doing, polishing up their skills, and most importantly growing as a person and a trainer.

Here are some lessons that I have learned:
  • We can be too boring for our dogs , but we do not need to go to extremes to not be boring to our dogs.   (like scooping up road kill or being a constant source of entertainment for the dog)
  • Dogs need exercise and fun, but you don't have to push your dog to exhaustion in order to have a good dog.
  • Dogs love learning and the mental stimulation that comes from learning.  Giving your dog a job can be as simple as requiring them to walk at heel in the city or where ever you need them to.
  • Treats have a place in dog training, but they can also muck up the process for a dog perfectly happy to work without treats.
  • Training is not hard, but it does take consistency, patience, and discipline for the human most of all.
  • Silence and time are little known tools of dog training, and not spoken about often enough.
  • Balance in all things is the key to success in many aspects of life, including dog training (article to follow).
  • Yes, human footwork, body movement, and mental attitude are important in communicating what you want to a dog.
  • As boring as repetition might be for humans, DO NOT make them boring for your dog.   Also repetition is a very important part of the beginning learning process for the dog.
  • Prepare your dog, and they will learn for the long term better.
  • Use it or you will loose (or maintain your training).
  • Think the pet business is without politics, LOL, guess again.
  • Definitions and meanings are very important when outlining the concept of dog training.
All of these ideas could use an article or two each to expand on them.   I just wanted to leave with a few thoughts on ideas that have cemented in my head while learning my craft.   A dog trainer needs to grow and learn, and it's something I continue to enjoy doing.   Any professional dog trainer should do the same, and be able to talk about what they have learned to DO and have implemented themselves successfully.

I began thinking about this when reading so many blogs on dog trainers who only harp on what not to do (in their opinion only, and usually without much understanding of what they are talking about), strawman arguments or false stories, all the while unable to talk about either what they have learned to do OR demonstrate their success.

Beware those that can complain, but can not train:)

http://www.mannerlymutts.com
http://mannerlymutts.blogspot.com



    No comments: