Wednesday, July 6, 2011

APDT's Gotta Have a Gimmick---See Their Newest One C.L.A.S.S

The Association of Pet Dog Training has, in my opinion, encouraged the divide between dog trainers and dog training.   Click on the APDT topic to see my other articles and discussions on this.  They are not an honest professional organization as they limit what topics can be discussed in dog training, engage in double speak, yet still try to keep their market share by pandering to their "targeted market".   APDT is all about marketing and dollars, and not, in my opinion, about dog training, dog owners, or dogs.  I could go on and on about all the things they have tried to brand, and the language that they have attempted to redefine.   I could expand on how they like to manipulate the naive public with these things.   Do some research on this organization, it's founders, and it's history and you will find out for yourself.

When I saw the tweet blip by yesterday, I mistakenly thought that they may have thrown out their multiple choice exam that many pass easily without even studying for one that might measure dog training based on measurable standards, and thus the ability of the dog trainer.  How naive do I remain?  I should have known better.

Let me start this by saying there exists numerous tests of a dog's behavior in real life situations.  AKC's (American Kennel Club) Canine Good Citizen (CGC), Obedience Trials from Companion Dog to Working Dog (CD and Up), Puppy STAR Program, American Temperament Test Society (ATTS), and the UKC's (United Kennel Club's) similar obedience venues.  AKC even dumbed down obedience trials to what they call "rally".

So why does APDT now need to be promoting their self proclaimed "C.L.A.S.S".  It's all about furthering their agenda, which in my opinion IS NOT about promoting positive training (which we all do).  It's about promoting their illusionary niche market, and dividing dog trainers even further apart.  If they simply wanted people to know that you can positively train a dog (let's just pretend every dog has the same history here, temperament, and had a perfect upbringing with no problems) to a standard, they would simply show up at many of the trials and tests available in their area and steal the show.  Their members would stop talking about how "Rally" is more like real life because you can say a command a thousand times and treat your dog.   Oh, yeah, APDT runs their own Rally trials as well, which are much more super difficult because you need your dog to do so many more things.   Reliability in the world with one command is not stressed at all, because that is not so important.

I am not saying that APDT members don't go to trials, I am saying that their motivation is not to promote training to a standard.   Their promotion is their niche market or the illusion of purely positive.   To some, purely positive would include no leash, no collar because that is restrictive to a dog.  I find training a dog to be off leash reliable is a lot more doable when you start with a leash and a collar.  In fact, I have many clients come to me because they fell for the "puppies follow you anywhere, you don't need a leash and collar".   Yeah, that is until puppy becomes an adolescent and realizes that while you are very nice, there are a lot of interesting things around.   Also treats and balls will not station an untrained dog when a larger reward or distraction is around.

You need to fall for their gimmick.   I think the thing that really toasted my butt was when I read this article.  In the very first paragraph, they imply that the C.L.A.S.S. designation is going to instantly give your dog access and rights where they were not allowed previously!   Unless they have had hotels and other businesses sign off on this, there is no certificate that gives you this right.   I will tell you though, I have gotten access in areas with my dogs because the training shows while I am there.   If your training does not show, you can give a business a golden embossed certificate, and it will mean absolutely nothing to the business if they are smart.   I further worry that people will think that their dogs have the rights of service dogs by the way APDT is promoting this.

I am convinced as usual, that the Association of Pet Dog Trainers is a damaging and dangerous organization to dog owners, dogs, and dog trainers who care about their skill and about their clients' dogs.

http://www.mannerlymutts.com
http://mannerlymutts.blogspot.com

No comments: