Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Ode To Jordan





There are many dogs that have taught me not only the importance of
training but the actual skills of training. A few years ago, I met
a dog who was not one of my own, and he taught me many things. I
was especially fond of him, but my dog Neptune still was on this
earth, and while in control around dogs, was dog aggressive with
cardiomiopathy. I knew that Neptune had maybe a half year to a year
to live, and bringing in another dog would be unfair. Plus there is
a two dog limit in Worcester MA, not to mention that while my
neighbors loved my Dobermans, people in general are more likely
to "rat out" certain breeds.

So it killed me, but this dog did find a home. I was happy for
that, and even happier because I was in contact with people who had
previously cared for this dog. I had also let them know of my
interest should he EVER return, and especially if Neptune had passed
on. Neptune did pass on shortly, and this was shared with the
people that knew me and acknowledged. (I also in the meantime moved to Maine, where there are no limits on dogs that can be owned, though I never see myself having more than four of my own)

Life went on, a business was built up, and I saw people out and about
that knew this dog. Years have passed now, I haven't asked and
nobody told.

Little did I know, that not long after I said goodbye to this dog,
that hope of seeing him again shortly ended. Someone let me know
this recently, when they could have easily let me know that he was in
trouble. There was no point in telling me now. In fact, recently
that had several chances to share this, but they waited until a
special day. In fact, they continued forcing this subject on me
after specifically told not to, the next day while telling me how
this was not the right dog for ME anyway. Well, I am glad this
decision was made by someone who could not see what I could see, nor
has any idea about what training can and would have done. My dog was
complimented, without this person having any idea that he has been
just a big a bonehead as my deceased friend was. (actually Jack can be quite dog aggressive, and this person would never be able to handle him anymore than she was able to have Jordan do a simple sit in his kennel so he wouldn't pummel her against the wall).

I didn't get to say my final goodbyes before, and in fact wanted to
either be there for this dog or be under the illusion that he was out
and about enjoying his new family. Now, I need to acknowledge my
friend and teacher. Jordan my bud, I am sorry I failed you, and I
acknowledge that I failed you. Your face, your joy, your lessons
will continue to shape my training. You will be in my heart every
time I make a difference in the life of a dog. I am sorry that
others could not see your potential and love. I hope you went
peacefully, knowing something about someone loving you. It was me, I loved you. I am sorry that I left you in the hands of people that would allow jealousy and personal feelings be the cause of your death.

Always in my memory. Jordan the wonder dog. I hope the people that did not let me know what was going on, have a little visit with some karma some day. Live forever doing the following buddy:


No comments: