Wednesday, December 10, 2008

New Celebrity Trainer on Dog Star Daily

Do you remember the Greatest American Dog TV show? There was one trainer on there that continually attacked others for their methods not being as "positive" as hers. Meanwhile, let's be clear, she wasn't competing against all trainers. In fact, she lost to a dog owner!! However, she has apparently had 25 years of experience, and based on a reply to me on her blog on Dogstardaily.com, she is quite arrogant and self righteous.


Dogstardaily.com has allowed their bloggers to go on quite a tear against traditional training methods and tools lately. Since their newest blogger professed to have many years of experience with this, I inquired as to her previous experience with metal training collars. In other words, the actual specifics of how she went to it "back in the day". I was contacted by Kelly Dunbar, and in her e-mail she said that this was off topic to discuss the use of a metal training collar. Meanwhile, as always happens with these folks, it's completely on topic and correct to bash anyone that tries to use them. This particular blog was about the failure of the trainer to listen to the owners of the dog or address their needs beyond telling them "okay let's try as usual" after they let her know their dog was working better for them with the metal training collar.


The usually diplomatic Kelly Dunbar also sent me another e-mail saying that I don't belong at Dogstardaily.com, a publicly promoted website to the public and trainers coming across as the authority of dog training. She claims to only want to promote progressive new ideas, and the other ideas are just old fodder, and there is plenty of places to discuss them. She thinks I have a problem with that. I don't, I have a problem with a site where she admitted to not being the authority of training or behavioral problems, that instead spends a lot of their time bashing other methods. Perhaps that's because they have no real accomplishments to crow about? Perhaps that is because they are unable to speak on the correct way to train with a tool that they are quick to harp on and on and on about how bad it is?


In any case, the nice thing to know is that I do have their attention. And no, I won't just go away, they will have to deal with me at least. As a member of the IACP, Ian Dunbar has not directly violated any code of conduct, but I personally think that he does not deserve a membership in an organization that he clearly does not respect. If that membership is honorary only, it should be pulled IMO, unless or until there is an unfettered voice on that site and the bloggers include people from all walks of dog training, not just the one sided face they are trying to promote.
Do you need your dog trained? Call Mannerly Mutts at 207-361-4395 for your Maine Dog Training needs. Or you can e-mail Maine Dog Trainer, Robin Rubin, at mannerly_mutt@yahoo.com.

2 comments:

Robin said...

(a rabid reply from our friend Laurie)

Robin, Firstly, I never asked for you to be booted from DSD. In fact, I would have LOVED to continue debating you. Unfortunately that was not the proper forum to do so. They have their rules which have nothing to do with me. As far as being arrogant and self righteous it was you who came at me out of nowhere in a completely disrespectful, belittling, and insulting manner. You professed to know me, what was in my toolbox and my methods. The truth is, you know nothing about me except what you were spoon fed on a reality TV show meant for entertainment. However that said, it didn't bother me a bit. Having been on a national television show has brought me much notoriety, so I am very accustomed to and prepared to field insults from jealous people. But let me state here and now, unequivocally, I will debate you anyplace, anywhere. I will face you directly and the difference between you and me is I don't have to take potshots at you while hiding behind my keyboard. I can debate you respectfully and intelligently without name calling. Can you do that? Again, anytime, any place. In fact, the next time I come east I will let you know where I am and welcome you to debate me face to face. :)

Robin said...

(my reply to Laurie)

Off your meds today are we? I have zero interest in meeting you ever. Sorry. I believe your blog post said it all, where the second post was just to put down another training method. I got the photo off google where they are all available to the public. I can pick another if you would like. It's not only from the show by the way, many trainers report you as "rabid". Your own post shows you as .... well.... you. I didn't say you asked Kelly to take me off the board LOL. I know all about "The Dunbars" rules and their wishing not to share both sides of the information. I am also aware of the rift that Dr Dunbar made within the APDT. If you don't want to be commented on, try sticking to your accomplishments rather than trying to demean other trainers, methods and owners by highlighting your own failures with a client.