Thursday, December 18, 2008

Many Dog Trainers are Actually Nice People

I sort of don't want my previous post to make everyone think that the dog training world is polluted with greedy egotistical narcissistic folk. Actually, I know quite a few dog trainers that have taken time out to spend time with me, show me things, and not always in a seminar setting. There are dog trainers that I have seen, where I am thinking "I am glad of it, but you are charging way too low for what you are giving" and then there have been a couple where I have felt the opposite of that.

Dog trainers, me included I guess, are characters of strong passion and opinions. Since we are not manufacturing widgets, most of us have very passionate feelings about the work we do, the world we live in, and laws being passed that affect our work. Many of us have allowed ourselves to get too close to rescue or client's dogs. Some of that can't be helped, because IMO part of doing your best job as a dog trainer is making that positive relationship between you and the dog. It's harder to do that if you can't find something to like and admire in almost every dog you work with .

I have gotten calls at home from dog trainers that I knew only online when York Maine had a serious flood, just to be sure I was okay! Most Christmas greetings for dog trainer acquaintances are looked forward to every year (except the one). In general these people make great companions during seminars, events, et. And these people are all different and very interesting....you know for the most part.

There are some that are the bottom feeders, however. Even if they might have some talent, they are not looking out for the clients or their dogs, but for the green mostly. A good trainer does not need to exclaim that they have trained "Hollywood biggies". Most people would know that politicians, hollywood biggies, and executives are still primarily humans who all have the need or want for a trained dog. Having one as a client does not necessarily make you a great trainer, though it might boast to your marketing skills and how you look on camera!!

It's also a very different thing if you a warning someone about a particular person or trainer for their own good. You give your feedback, and then you let the person go on to hold that until in their memory until another date. What was done by the person mentioned in the previous post was to list the people as all below her in ability, to bulk herself up higher than them. Someone who is truly confident in their abilities does not need to do this, and a professional does not need to or want to do this.

No comments: