Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Part of Yesterdays Homework

This is Jack's repetitions of Week 1 Day 1 using The Koehler Method of Open Obedience Book as my method of choice for a working retrieve. Check out the bruise on my chin, this is what happens when you don't get dinner on the table top on time (kidding, my husband does all the cooking). Actually this is what happens when you trip carrying your elderly dog down the stairs, and fall on the concrete mudroom floor with no other thought than avoiding your dog hitting it instead. Let's just say that my chin took the brunt of the force, and I am lucky that I have all my teeth and not shattered chin.

It is not only Jack's homework here, but I am trying to create my presentation skills, which in the future will take out the "ums" and my fashion sense will improve once I am ready to commit anything to a permanent sort of tape for my clients. You will notice also that Jack is also a little freaked out by the tripod LOL, and that I can not count when forced to concentrate on the fact that I am being videod.

Regarding Jack's mild freaked out state. I am not going to highlight this for him, as something he should be concerned about. He is not in an overloaded state, as he is used to the fact that sometimes we need to work where there is something that he is not familiar with. He also knows that I am not going to make a big deal that he is scared, and therefore reinforce that state of being. I will go into my treat methology at another time, and my protocol for when I use treats and when I do not. Hopefully, I will remember to talk about fear, stress, and the use of treats involved. For now though, this is a state of being that will disappear as he gets used to the scary three legged thing now on the porch. If I highlight it, I will freeze him there.

1 comment:

Robin said...

I need to warm up on the novice exercises before beginning the retrieve work.

Also, should Jack not be warmed up enough, be sure to correct him appropriately and with good timing.