Monday, November 3, 2008

GOT HOMEWORK?


Do you and your dog have homework to do today? Well, I do everyday. I mean how can I possibly convince my clients they need to work every day (or six days in my case), if I and my dogs are not an example of this? I do take time off for if I get sick, vacation, or for my recent sprained ankle. When I do not have time (outside of being sick et) I see my training totally suffer,because I have become lax and lazy. Unlike a regular old dog owner though, this is my business. My dogs and I are ambassadors for what can be done in dog training, or we try to be anyway . There are those days.

I also have to be sure the training plan fits into the schedule of a "normal person" and not someone as Abby Normal as I am. That works because you don't want your dog to have to punch in on a time clock overly long either. It's all about balance. You don't want to do too little, you don't want to do too much and burn either human or dog out. You want it to be enjoyable, yet you also want to get real work done during your session, or I do anyway. A dog trainer is always honing their skills, and always aware that there is more improvement to be made, especially since you are leading future and current dog owners and trainers.

All of this homework and educational experience is self prescribed, being that top training people in the industry have become "out of style" in their quest for excellence. Don't get me wrong, they aren't exactly hurting for business either. Dog owners with common sense and a quest to really provide the best life for their dogs, recognize quality and rare education. These people haven't been asked to follow the circuit group that is supporting another business model of training. One that I believe is dangerous, as it degrades quality time and teaching the language for your dog into something "not fun" because it does not go fast enough to the next "trick". Instead of recognizing the real life skills that can open up a whole new world to dog owner and dog, if they wish that. I have needed to research, dig up, dust off, and re-discover some of the better trainers in the country thru due diligence. Sadly, due to the success of convincing people that traditional training is evil, what has happened as these people stick close to home and have less costly travel to places that have made up stories about them anyway. Talk about a thankless job!! On the other hand, what has happened is the training experience in this area has become very one sided, and no longer the proud profession that dog training certainly can be. It's become a glorified feel good festival, with like minded trainers stroking each other and murmuring encouragingly as our rights as dog owners are torn right from us. Not to mention the illegal search and seizure of dogs that has been happening in certain parts of the United States due to legislation that is promoted by the Animal Rights groups. In Albuquerque NM it's very close to illegal to leave your house and go anywhere without your dog on a leash. Many times that means even in your own yard!! Rights of owners are flying out the window, and it's our fault as our standards are low for training. There are so many excuses and mantras out there for why not to train your dog (and I will go over these in another blog).

Writing this very article is homework in itself that I need to accomplish every day. Additionally, I have dogs to train that aren't being paid for by other people. I train them for my own personal knowledge. I am also practicing my presentation skills in a visible way not only for a future video, but to see me as I might appear to clients. Jack and I have finished most of our training for the day. We did 10 repetitions of Week 1 and Day 1 of the retrieve exercises from the Open Obedience book by William Koehler. We had been on Week 2, when I discovered that I had missed two steps. My bad!! In the interest of teaching others, and spending efficient and effective time with my dog, I need to be as detailed as possible, and push for that same excellence in my students. I am also not in any rush, the next trial isn't until February 2009. We have plenty of time to perfect this as much as possible, and hopefully not only get the title but hammer home some better scores. Bri and I will be going over basically the same exercises as Jack today. I have revisited the foundation with both of them in the Koehler Method of Dog Training by William Koehler, realizing that my poor scores are probably reflective of not expecting really excellent work on my part. I see so many things that I can do better now, and are really not any big deal to do. My dogs only do exactly what I taught them to do LOL. I take full responsibility for our errors in trial. I am so proud of my dogs when in there. I cried the very first time Jack and I qualified for a leg. To me that was such an achievement for the both of us. It goes right up there with my wedding day and graduation from college.

Devon, a Thai Ridgeback, is being trained for his Novice trial in February 2009 as well. My daycare looks to me for entertainment during the day that can take the form of trick training, play fetching, ET. Knowing about their behavior and pack mentality, and continuing my education on this allows such an unleashed and free atmosphere to continue.

I love my job, and I love my work even when it's homework. What work have you done with your dog today?

Want to train your dog? Call Robin Rubin at Mannerly Mutts Dog Training at 207-361-4395. Or e-mail at mannerly_mutt@yahoo.com.

No comments: