Saturday, July 27, 2013

NOT EVER a way to exercise your dog! Last night at York Maine's Hannaford

Just a picture I found, not a picture of the actual incident.
Yesterday I went to our York Maine Hannaford's to get some cheese and wine to chill out for the night with my dogs and my husband.   As soon as we drive in, I am accosted by a guy who wants to "fix" or find someone to "fix" his dog aggressive dog.  No, he is not interested in training.   I talk to him for awhile, but there is no magic wand (beyond consistent hard work) that I can give him to transform his now five year old dog aggressive dog.  I note to myself that it might be  time to take the signage off my vehicle.   We only have the one vehicle now, and hence everyone thinks I am on duty when I am clearly off duty.   So that was the first weird and creepy dog incident to happen in the evening.

I went into Hannaford, but then let my husband complete the shopping while I went outside.   The man that approached me made me a bit wary, and I wanted to be sure he was not scoping out the dogs in my car.  

Soon a woman and a man came out of the store.   They had an off leash dog (maybe a Maltese Mix) following them off lead.   The dog was darting towards moving cars, and I was not sure the dog was theirs at first.   Then I saw the woman praise her dog for peeing outside.   At one point it looked like the dog went into the car and they were going to leave.

My husband returned to our car, and then a high pitched repeated bark was heard as a car sped by our car.   The little white dog that I had just seen was chasing the dog with all his/her ability.   I jumped out of the car (I was on the passenger's side) and I ran after the car and dog, hoping to find the dog wandering around the corner so I could make sure the dog got somewhere safe.   Neither car nor dog was around when I rounded the corner of the building.

Turns out at least two other woman and a grocery store employee saw this.   One of the woman said the dog got in the car, but then they opened up the car door and set the dog outside before speeding away.   So another the police were called and took our statements as to what happened.   One of the ladies wrote down the license plate number.   The police man said he would look into this and we could check back later.

So today, we called the nice police man.   He warns my husband that we will not believe this story.   The policeman called the woman first to find out what the story was.   She admitted to what we saw, and said she always does this to EXERCISE the dog.   The policeman said he almost fell out of his chair when she said this.   He then insisted he needed to come over ASAP to see the condition of the dog.   He saw the dog, and the dog seemed fine.   He left the woman with a warning that if this were to occur again, she would be fined for neglect.

I normally don't need to inform people of this, but having your dog chase your car is NOT EVER a way to exercise your dog.   I am surprised this dog is still alive with these people quite frankly.

http://www.mannerlymutts.com
http://mannerlymutts.blogspot.com

No comments: