Monday, January 14, 2013

Fashion Sense and Dog Training



There is something so basic in dog training (that is when you train many dogs for a living) that I at least often forget to communicate to my clients. I was reminded of this yesterday during very cute and active Bristol's (German Shepherd female puppy) lesson. The basic thing that I forgot to communicate is how to dress during, and especially, training a green dog or puppy. Actual typically, I dress this way even with more seasoned and trained dogs, because a lot of my training counts on me being able to get dirty and play with the dogs (be outside in areas that may be swampy or muddy) as well, even if they are well on their way and not mouthing or jumping up anymore.

There are many reasons that I will wear clothes, while training, where I don't want to worry about ruining them. Here are just some reasons to dress down your wardrobe, and not wear your favorite (dry clean only or hand wash only) clothes while training dogs. Some of these may be over the top for just a dog owner trainer, nevertheless, I think they are great tips to keep in mind for either the professional trainer or dog owner:)

Top and bottom fashion choices:
  • In dog training there are a multiple of things that might get on your clothes or you. In some breeds (Boxers, Great Danes, Newfies, et) there are these things affectionately called "flingers". These are great ropes of viscous drool that can fly anywhere in a moments notice. If you have ever had the pleasure of being in a closed car with Great Danes who shake their heads all of a sudden, you know how this stuff gets everywhere. By the way flingers show up well on knit fabrics especially dark shades of black and brown are generally not a good idea. Just a word to the wise.
  • Puppy nails and mouthing puppy teeth tend to pull at certain fabrics (no light delicate fabrics or fabrics that may pull). This is why my main top choices for training dogs are made out of velour, fleece, or sweatshirt materials. Choices on my bottom half tend toward dark wash jeans, which are virtually impossible to stain with muddy feet or rip (that is real jeans not summer jeans). Don't forget how sharp puppy teeth are, even if they aren't trying, a very light weight fabric on your bottom or top half is not to hard to tear.
  • Light colors always seem to stain, even if it seems that they won't. Avoid these in dog training, because muddy paws always seem to find a way to imprint on the fabric. Don't wear them on your bottom or top.
Foot Fashion Tips:
  • Unless you are trying to hurt yourself, flip flops are NEVER EVER appropriate. For the safety issues, nothing with any kind of a heel or with slippery bottoms are appropriate.
  • Poop is something we all strive to pick up, but can be hiding out in some tall grass. Shoes with flat yet tractable bottoms are the easiest to clean. Very intricate waffle bottoms, for instance on running shows, are not so easy to clean.
  • You may want a few high quality shoes just for dog training. I NEVER skimp on my shoes that I use for dog training. I also realize these shoes may go through dirt, sand, mud, muck, poo, water puddles, and snow. So my shoes that I go out in public (not to train dogs) are a totally separate category.
  • My preference is NO LACES. Well fitting slip ons with great traction is what I prefer to train dogs in.
Winter Fashion Accessories:
  • Be sure that any head apparel does not block your vision. So much of dog training depends on being observant of your dog and your environment for timing and proper training.
  • Thick gloves will cause you to loose a lot of the feel and the dog that you are working with. Find warm gloves that are as thin as possible when you need them. Mittens are a no no, as they impede your hand movement and dexterity even more.
  • Loose skarves (and anything tempting like a pony tail) can look like a fun thing to grab and pull on for a puppy, especially.
  • Boots should be warm and easy to walk in. I still haven't found the perfect slip on boot to dog train in (assuming I am going to be walking a lot during the training) that hold my feet in for duration comfortably.
Aggressively Fashion Forward (owners with dogs like this should contact a professional in dog training and behavior modification immediately):
  • I will always tell my clients that it is unacceptable to wear sandals, even sports sandals when training a dog. However, I do it sometimes (give me a break it gets sooo hot in the summer, and I have a lot of dogs to train) do except when training a dog who is willing to bite me. I have never been bitten on my foot, yet I always wear thick leather shoes WITH socks to protect me if they go for my ankles.
  • Jeans, real heavy duty jeans, are a must. This way you are more likely to get a bruise if a redirection comes your way, rather than a flesh wound.
  • Baggy swearshirts and layers underneath. This gives you a little bubble around you to react if they go for your arms or torso.
  • I have never yet felt the need to wear gloves to protect my hands from a bite. Mostly, I don't want the dogs that I work with to bite down harder as a result. However, I am sure there are some dogs out there that would inspire me to have a change of mind. So far, I would rather a basket muzzle at first, if I feel the dog is too quick for me.

Mannerly Mutts Dog Training
Mannerly Mutts Blog
mannerly_mutt@yahoo.com

No comments: