Sunday, August 7, 2011

Leon's Goals in 2011 (related to my maintenance blog)

(related to my blog on maintenance)

Here are my goals for Leon:
  • To finally get him a CGC, which he has the skill set to do. I might even go for a CD but without him doing auto sits (his knees) and just reading for the 1 minute sit, which isn't a problem as long as we do not overtrain.
  • Have him able to do a long down so if I am doing a private or group lesson, I don't need to check to be sure he is staying in it (Leon knows when I start talking to someone directly and involved that my attention has wandered).
  • No more allowing the excited barking when he wants to play or have the ball thrown (must be quiet). This is for when children are around here playing ball, they get alarmed when Leon barks even though he is just doing it because he is having fun. Also helpful if I am training Boris, so I can work him on stays as I do the tug game with Boris.
  • Keep up the heeling off leash on equipment around the neighborhood and on the beach (which means being sure we do daily repetitions of this, and let's go command both while on the move and in the house).
  • Ah, yes, I want to teach him to retrieve just not his balls to hand for play, but a working retrieve to gather up loose leashes or small dogs that are on longe line and playing when ready or if they try to wander off to far. Also to pick up items that I drop for me. (not so much for me but because he loves to do it). Also to fetch directionally and with "no" and "yes" markers.
  • Work on the scent work with him, so when winter trials come up (which is when I like to do this sport) he will be ready to go and get some titles.
http://www.mannerlymutts.com/
http://mannerlymutts.blogspot.com/

    No comments: