Thursday, March 10, 2011

Mike Ellis Seminar (Review) Awesome!

When I saw the clip of Mike Ellis, my first thought was "holy smoke, who is this guy?".   This looked like some important concepts bent in a totally different way of thinking about training a dog.  Well not like 1000 times different (still rewards -- markers ET)  BUT his method and the way he has figured this out is drastically different (again for me, those in protection sports may have known about this for a long period of time).  You can view some video of lectures here on his own site (which will probably sound maybe not that exciting).  I have heard that the videos are well worth it (as are the seminars, and the school--from what I have heard and the seminar from what I experienced).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V_SUh-PCFI

Just as I was considering begging my library to get me the videos (funds are tight-so hey why not have my public resource help out a little), Yahoo's k9NE group had a post about a Mike Ellis seminar in Rhode Island at K9 Connection.   I could only get an auditing spot, but I was very excited to have gotten in and found the seminar at all.  (an auditing spot is where you don't bring a dog to the seminar to work, and usually costs roughly half the seminar price)  Clearly my library can not provide a live seminar, so I figured I would invest a bit of money there to check this guy out and hear about his methods.

This seminar was fantastic.  Since I am not in protections sports, this (for me) brought about some completely different insight and information about motivation and drive.   Those are not new terms in dog training by any means, but the context of the method that Mike uses is quite different than the information acquired previously.   Here are the concepts that I would like to start utilizing in my training:

  • First, so the rest may not sound bland and one might get an idea of why this is so different, the concept (from what I understand) is to work your dog in high drive.  You want to classically condition your dog so that their work is almost an automatic response.  Very frequently we have dampened down or taught our dogs to calm down for training and performance sessions.   Instead this method makes good use of their natural drives.
  • Play with toys and food are used on the front end to build the highest  drive possible and enthusiasm in the dog.   This will be useful for the trainer and dog later for training, performance, and the creation of a team.   Focus is a great result of this method of training.
  • Verbal marker use of yes, good, and no are used.   Yes is a "you did that right and release".   Good is "you did that right and continue".   No means "oops, not what I was looking for".
  • The use of the feed bucket to build precision in body movement in the dog and rear end awareness.  It is also used for targeting for jumps and precise sits when turning after a run.  I have heard of this before, but only from trick trainers that wanted to do a sort of "how many things can you do with a box" exercise, and routinely dropped out of what they were using it for.  Never had I heard for the sport uses of the feed bucket. 
  • A different way of teaching loose leash walking, and the back command.
  • Presenting the toy or treat to focus the dog AND so you don't accidentally get bit by moving it somewhere the dog does not expect it to go at first (leaving a body part in it's wake).
  • It is physical in a positive way for both the dog and owner.
  • It is a method that leaves room for appropriate corrections, but you first build on the dog's drive.   That is an important starting point (the drive build up, and the ability to access that drive).
Another great part of the seminar was all the talent in the room.   ALMOST made me glad that I did not have a working spot, but I would have shelved my embarrassment and learned a lot.   As it is, watching everyone else helps you learn, and gives you ideas on how training can go forward.   It also let's you know how much you suck .

Mike is a great teacher, and his concepts are explained in an easy and understandable way.   A LOT is gone over, however, and it would be hard for anyone to capture the entirety of his method in a two day seminar. He seems to put everyone at ease, and can get you to work improving your exercises immediately (if you have a working spot---insert sad face here).

http://www.mannerlymutts.com/
http://mannerlymutts.blogspot.com/
mannerly_mutt@yahoo.com

2 comments:

Tyler Muto said...

Hey Robin,
The videos are awesome and totally worth the investment. However I am super jealous that you got see mike live!

Robin said...

It was great. I was so excited I had a hard time sleeping the night before day 2 LOL.