Monday, November 16, 2009

More Pickles to Day 5

Pickles clearly loves people, and being around people. Of that, there can be no question. He gets a bit separation anxiety which can be told by the mistreatment of his crate, and how he will dig in to bark if he can't see you for like a second (never mind minutes and hours). He's busy being trained that when he is quiet and calm, then he will see me at his crate door. Bossing me to come and get him pronto, does not get him anywhere (except early in the morning, as I want to make sure he doesn't need to go).

Pickles has had good night sleeps since the first night. He had been quiet in his crate until yesterday, when a friend came over with their five dogs who will be staying with us in April. Hearing the new dogs and people outside gave him ideas. Unfortunately, I hadn't left him in one of the stronger crates, so he did manage to bend a wire until I could get up to him, when I realized what he was most likely up to. No harm done, I was more mad at myself for forgetting the owners warning about this. There are two crates that we have, where he has been excited, but unable to get anywhere with them. It would be nice to extinct this sort of behavior while he is here. Once he manages to get a little success though, then he thinks he will be able to duplicate it, and a bit of a tantrum happens:)

I have discovered that while other dogs may be Pickles second choice, and perhaps he may be guarding his humans from his canine companion (haven't met Sadie yet, or fully seen Pickle so I am on the fence about this), he does not seem to have anything against dogs per say. He also hasn't broken out into full play mode with or without dogs present. So his enthusiasm for dogs could be greater than or less than what I am seeing. I have seen that he is interested, and will go to them for comfort AND take comfort from them. The last two days, he has been allowed around dogs without my hand welded to the other end of the leash. A lot of time is being spent allowing him to come out, and training time is separate and at the end of the day so I can learn more about him when he doesn't feel my gaze upon him every minute. He is supervised every minute, but I try to pretend I am not paying attention to everything he does as much as is possible and keep everyone (including him) safe. Luckily, I have had very friendly and sweet dogs over, who are used to the "behaviorally challenged" and giving space when needed. It seems that Pickles is feeling safer and safer in this environment.

As I will expect to continue at home, Pickles is not allowed on the furniture with or without me OR with or without other dogs. It is so important that until he gets these relationship and pack issues worked out, that he isn't given the opinion that he has the same status or privileges as others who are abiding by the rules (basically no biting or attacking). He is allowed on dog beds. He has begun going out in the pen with others to go to the bathroom (without me holding a leash).

For the quieter dogs like Pickles (ones who tend to hold a lot in without a lot of show); I go slow and am not very cocky of the fact that he hasn't blown up at anyone. I have noticed that if he does the little lip curl, which I have seen three times since he has been here directed at another), it has been on face to face greetings or meetings. It's possible that this is a result of the injuries he has sustained (and which seem to be healing up nicely) on his muzzle. In other words, he might always be expecting another dog to make a move on his face. Or it could have been that I was there, and he decided the other dog shouldn't come near me. In any case, I move correct the situation quickly when he does this, and he hasn't protested. I am beginning my mental inventory on things that look like triggers. As I have said though, he has been a pretty good boy. This could be the fact that I am with him every second observing him, and he is figuring me out. Or it could just be that he is very mailable to a different way of being. I suspect some of that will be answered when Sadie comes on the last week. Also we will get some idea of what Sadie is all about.

Pickle has been working a lot on walking nicely with me, which we are now transitioning into a heel. Also on sit during distractions and things that make him uncomfortable, however not out in public just yet. That will commence in a couple of days though, on week 2. Most likely tomorrow we will go on a group walk in the woods, but Pickles will be on a leash attached to me. It will be interesting if this makes any spirit of playing with other canines creep out of him.

2 comments:

Kevin, Melanie & Kids said...

Hi Robin,

Pickles is a very good dog with people. The thing we've noticed is that he is pretty low key all the time...even during play time. Occasionally, he'll run around the yard when he baits Sadie into chasing him. But for the most part, he doesn't show too much emotion (except for when we come home and he greets us at the door). So, you're pretty much seeing the true Pickles...a lovable little guy who loves human attention and he LOVES mealtime.
It's great that for the most part, he's getting along with the other dogs. I hope that continues when Sadie shows up the last week. We really miss him around the house. And sorry about the crate. We had to reinforce ours with thicker steel so he didn't bite through it. Let me know if you want to borrow it..we can swing it by.

Robin said...

He's a really sweet little guy. Just remember the key to his success at home is to follow the directions that I give you to:

1) Establish leadership with his humans so that he knows he is safe (same with Sadie). If they think you don't have things under control, that is when the fights break out, as they try to solve it themselves in ways we do not appreciate.
2) The household needs to be structured to facilitate the healing of the relationship between the two dogs. Even if they are scampering through the daisies here when they leave, if things continued exactly the same at home, then the fights will continue and get worse.

I don't get from Pickles that he is a dog that necessarily prefers being an only dog. In fact, I think he benefits enormously by having known potential friends right now. Also remember the friends he has been exposed to are dogs unlikely to snap back or give him any kind of a hard time, if he gets nervous.

I think that Sadie has been trying to take care of this puppies bad habits for awhile (guessing as I haven't met Sadie), and especially now as he is maturing now. So it's terribly important to support both of these dogs when they get home.

I expect when these two are aware each other is in this house, there will more than likely be some hard feelings. That is pretty expected once injuries instead of a short dispute has happened.