Sunday, March 20, 2011

He Gets Dead Things OR What Is This Skull From

Before the winter hit, something either died and was pulled apart OR was killed and pulled apart in our back woods.   Probably a lot more common occurrence than I would like to think about.   A host of animals that could be prey live around here like squirrels, rabbits, possums, rats, mice, moles, deer, and more.   Also we have quite a few predator animals like bears (yup they have been seen around here), dogs who are allowed to run loose, cats (also could be food source), coyotes, foxes, owls (I hear him daily), hawks, and so on.   So I am sure there is quite a bit of death that goes on in the back woods.

Leon can find dead things.   He has shown this talent before.   One day last fall, he was trolloping back with what I thought was a stick.   As he got closer, I saw that the stick had grey fur, but could not see what it was.   I assumed a part of a dead squirrel.   I told Leon to drop it, but could not take it out with me as I did not have a bag.   A day later, I thought it was a good idea to gather up and dispose of the creature.  I could not see where it was, and knew that Leon would find it.   In a day, it became bones.   The skull was MUCH bigger than a squirrels and has no canines.   Does not seem to be the skull of  a predator.   Here are some pictures that I got before disposing Leon's "find":





Good boy, Leon, for fetching all of these for me.   Each was found in a different place in the woods.   They were scattered over about two acres that we own, and there are still more parts back there.   The dogs keep bringing me this same bone from time to time, and I never seem to have a bag on me to bag it up.

I meant to measure it this day, but forgot.   I am curious though, anyone know what this is?

http://www.mannerlymutts.com/
http://mannerlymutts.blogspot.com/
mannerly_mutt@yahoo.com

2 comments:

Vicky said...

Unsure as to what animal that might be, but am now thankful that my "gifting" is limited to what the cats drag in :)

Robin said...

Oh you have no idea what you are missing out on. Jackie CD came prancing in one day with a deer leg in his mouth.