Thursday, March 30, 2006

Gorgeous Day

I forgot to bring my camera.........of course. Leon had to be left behind during the beach and play portion of our walk. He was plenty perturbed when I left with Moose and Jack. He did have his dad and Jazz to keep him company though. We did the loose leash walking all the way to the beach. It's a cool but sunny spring day, and you can feel a briskness in the air combined with the warmth of the sun. Birds are chirping from the shadowy pines looming overhead. And just as you are thinking, does life get any better than this, you see the beach approaching down the road. We had plenty of playmates on the beach today. There was Lilly, who hasn't warmed up to Jack yet, as he is a bit too familiar for her. Jackson was there, interesting tri-color hair pattern, a collie who has lupus but still likes to have a bit of fun with his ball. Blaze and Sophia, both very sweet dogs. Blaze is very much like his name and likes to race around after his ball and other dogs. Elvis, one of my favorites, a incredibly sweet golden retreiver who barks for attention and nudges me when I am neglecting him. He also allows the other dogs to roll on him or step on him. He is a very maternal male dog. An akita mix was there, and I still haven't learned her name, but she is a lot of fun. Showing her teeth at other dogs makes them hit the ground fast LOL. Wish I could learn that technique myself, because for her it works each and every time Ed, the wild boy German shepard, chasing his balls that his owner throws to him repeatedly. . Two beautiful golden retrievers hung out by the stone wall, and I let Jack and Moose periodically go up and play with them, then I would call them back. Poor Moose is beginning to confuse many a pony tailed girl for me though. I usually have to make it fairly obvious where I am or her starts following other people thinking it's me LOL. Such a Great Dane puppy. Jack found a seaweed ball down there, and I realized he was going to try and swallow the thing whole, so we got to do the out command, which I need a level three on the old tri-tronics sport 50 model. Then he was much more obliging in the future. He's very fast. Faster than Brie the stafforshire that lives at our tenants house. Faster than Ed, the German Shepard, running after his own balls. I think we may have actually tired Jack out today. That's the beginning of many a dog training day here. Horrid, I know. With the e-collars, this really helps the dogs understand the freedom that's allowed them. Not having to be tied to a long line when playing with other dogs is so huge. And realizing that as long as they obey the command, there are no dire consequences, and there really aren't if they just don't come on the first time either.

No comments: