Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Affects of Training in a Multi Dog Household

Now that my house is infested with dogs of my clients, and my own dogs. It has become clear to me what other trainers have reported as the affects of having dogs, especially dogs who get along really well, and the affects on training with their humans (in my case both owner human and surugate owner ie trainer human). My dog, Leon, for instance, while he still seeks me out, he seeks me out less during the day. It erodes our bond a bit. It also strangely helps in training. It has helped him in the training process to be still while I am training client dogs and to not get involved in the action unless asked. Course he's less likely now to be as obnoxious as he can be when asked and I really want a distraction. It makes him more interested in the other dogs, and less interested in me. It's hard to explain this concept to owners, and why a certain amount of alone time needs to be given to each dog in their household when they are multiple ones. I, myself, had thought trainers might be overemphasizing this point myself, but I see it in action in my household now. You want to be your dog's pack and pack leader. To maintain that, you need to have interactions with your dogs exclusively sometimes. However, if you are a trainer like me, there are advantages to it, like practicing with your dog to be quiet and in a place during the lesson. That being said, me and my neglected husband are going to be sure to have some "alone time" with our dogs this evening. Training or not, just to reaffirm the bond that we have which is very special to us.

No comments: