Thursday, January 22, 2009

Leon is Fetching


The upside to the winter quiet is the amount of time I have to concentrate on my own dogs. Jackie is being readied for spring trials in Open AKC competition. Leon can't trial due to his inability to keep along sit (bad knees), but he is still able to work and play along side me. I have been training him in an auto stand rather than an auto sit for instance. I am working on the long stand stay LOL. Down works too of course.

One thing we have been working on together, is having Leon pick things up for me. Leon can so far pick up the following and give to me:



  • Highlighters or pens

  • Keys

  • Chain collars

  • Leather muzzle

  • Leashes nylon or leather

  • Remote controls

  • All his toys

  • Gloves

  • Dumbbell

  • Shoes

  • Skarves

  • Dog Coats

  • Dog Flat Collars

  • Mail or Pamphlets (warning, they get damp)

I have been trying to figure out how to get him to pick up a bowl lately. After we go onto bowls and baskets ET, I will teach him a hold when following me, rather than just when bringing the object to me.


Leon and I have been having a lot of fun with this. Leon's always enjoyed the "getting part", but he now enjoys the bringing and giving to me. I wonder if he thinks I have become really clumsy lately (or clumsier than usual)! We were working around my two Great Dane clients on the beach as a distraction the other day. I had left every one's leashes in a pile a bit away from us while the Great Danes played, and Leon and I did a bit of work.


Leon was doing his free style moves, and picking stuff up for his very clumsy owner. At the end, I started over to get the leashes. I did not ask Leon to get the leashes, and I saw him look from me to the leashes and back at me. So I stopped walking. Leon took off, grabbed a leash and brought it back to me! He took his praise, and dashed off two more times until I had all the leashes. I loved this, as he saw a need that I had and solved it on his own. Course he had his trademark Leon grin on as we headed back home.


Leon and the gang even got a business card handed out that day. It wasn't during the fancy work, but in a long down stay. When the dogs go to the bathroom on the beach, I down them while I pick it up and then typically walk about a quarter of a mile away to "deposit it". Then I walk back to the dogs, they are in a down this whole time, and release them. If anyone who has dogs is on the beach, they normally can't believe it. They will say "why are those dogs all in a down"? " You mean they will stay there until you return". There was a lady on the beach beginning to work with her puppy. We talked, the dogs were released to meet the cutey, and I got a card out.


I keep joking with the Great Dane's owners that they need to be put on commission LOL.

No comments: