Monday, January 5, 2009

Response to Blogging Ethics


http://gooddogowners.blogspot.com/2008/12/blogging-ethics.html

I do everything out there pretty publicly. It's any one's right to comment on me publicly, my e-mails, my comments, my blogging et. You know, feel free that is what this is all about. People comment on others such as leaders et all of the time and their choices as if they know them, and do not have first hand experience. Often quite negatively...

If you are choosing to send me a nasty e-mail, and if you are public or are of influence as a leader and role model, be aware that you might be in real danger of being outed. Especially if I feel an ethic and moral obligation to do so. Even more so if I have the documentation to back it up. So the best thing one can do is not feel so safe in your [the collective your] little cocoon or world when going out in public. I don't.

Enron was taken down because no one wanted to say anything. Patients are abused in hospitals due to non disclosure. In order to be respected, one must be respectful of anyone even if they don't consider those people on the same plane. To do otherwise is to risk foolishly exposing yourself for who you are, and to expect people that know of your [the collective you] position as a leader and role model to ignore whatever it is you are doing now. You are not in your living room. If you are not my friend, do not expect that I will keep something damaging that you say to me in confidence. If it is worrisome enough, I most likely won't, so be forewarned. Written, faxed, e-mail correspondence to me becomes my property unless I have otherwise stated that I will respect your privacy for whatever reason. If you are my friend, my actual friend, you would not send me correspondence like this anyway, and you would not act in a manner that would lead me to question your ethics or moral judgement.

Making what someone in a position of leadership, responsibility, and as a role model public normally serves to cease that activity, or they are going to be very careful who they are morally bankrupt and unethical with. If that makes me appear or I am unprofessional in that venue, I take sole responsibility for that. It means my ethical and moral meter has gone off to an extent that I am unable to ignore it any longer.

When someone makes a public recommendation for a leadership and role model figure on a public board, it should totally be able to be commented on publicly. Otherwise just make a private recommendation. That's what public boards are for, it is not your living room, as several others have attested. To do that is to invite others who have NOT had the same experience to comment. If it's done privately, the the only person that knows the recommendation is the person who gave it and the person who received it. No one else who might disagree knows about it, and thus would not feel obligated to comment on it as it did not appear publicly.

I did not have a good experience with Cabella's non slip foot slip on wear (one came off my boot after two steps, but I am tying them on now). This is something I feel totally justifying and commenting about. Service industries and public figures in organizations fall under the same rules. Thus they should act and perform in a way that they are able to be proud of OR defend. Making statements behind someones back rather than to their face or publicly can be a sword with two sides. One, you have not confronted the person as they should have been. Possibly the reason for this being that one has no first hand knowledge of this. But two, you did not publicly let others know who may mistakenly believe this "leader and authority" is as they appear.

My failure in this instance was many years back in not confronting a person immediately, and with related parties in attendance. Also in not reporting my disappointment in the performance in any kind of way. Additionally, I trusted someone (actually people)in a situation that I had no business putting that sort of faith into. I bear the horror of that inaction on my part.

My failings are that my politeness and not wanting to believe the worst in some people, even when staring it in the face, causes me to not act in a timely manner many times. My acting in a different way may have saved me additional future conflicts and the misplaced trust in a person who sought to mock a situation that I was/am truly heartbroken over. My timely actions may have even caused that situation to have a totally different outcome. Those are my failings, and I admit gladly to them as a warning to others. Not about an individual, but a warning of when situations are observed, don't have regrets as I have to not report them.

At the very least, prompt action may cause someone in a leadership and authority position to carefully question their actions in the future, and not feel so comfortable carrying certain actions out. While I hate masking or suppressing ones real nature in dog training or in human consequences, this can be more beneficial that allowing someone to continue feeling wrapped in a cocoon. It does not promote peace and love as the commenter above posted, but it does promote "act professionally and don't bash others as if you are exempt from acting professionally".

Sometimes what promotes peace and love also brings down an organization thru lies and deception OR covering something up. Once it's uncovered, one has to deal with that. Or that was what I learned in Corporate America. You could either say "yeah the sales team is being completely honest about having earned their bonuses" or you could at least inform the president that the "items shipped at the end of the month had no batteries, are likely to be returned, and I don't see us making payroll this month never mind paying those huge bonuses if you do this". It's always been my goal to act responsibly not keep the peace or PR nonsense at any cost. As far as my "ego" being involved, doing something like this does NOTHING for me personally. In fact, I put myself out there for being unprofessional in my "better later than never" comments. I don't believe I have made more friends and admirers by doing this. However, perhaps I have made a newbie think before just going by the recommendation of another to at least be aware or check out the recommendation.

Doubtful that it will keep the parties from continuing to bash me , though they may be a bit more careful how and to whom they go about it. That was not even on my radar as to why I complained, but how that sort of free flow information for the leader or role model's personal gain might affect another. I am a big girl and can take it as far as names flung my way, especially as I continue to prove those people wrong.

No comments: