Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Saccarappa Dog Obedience Trial Venue


Pictures to follow later on today.

I will talk about me and Bri's performances later on today or tomorrow (after our final run). For now, I want to talk about the venue.

One plus in this trial is that the classes seem to be spot on as far as being on time. As someone who once waited until 6:00 pm for their scheduled 10:00 am trial, I can tell you this is a great thing!!! Of course, it does normally depend on the judge or I guess the management of the obedience club to notice if things are going off course, and what they had assigned a judge to do. For instance at the trial that went waaaayyyy behind, they had the judge bouncing between conformation and obedience rather than being at one station.

It's in the Riverton Middle School gym (or Riverton Community Center) with three large rings set up, a raffle table and a check in station. So it's incredibly crowded, which is great experience for your dog, but very uncomfortable while you are waiting your turn. And if you are like me and show up about 40 minutes before you are scheduled to go on, you will become seated in the backrow. Not everyone up front is considerate of not standing to have personal conversations, and blocking your already limited view of the trials going on. It's hard for people in such cramped quarters to keep dogs from encroaching upon space as well. Like I said though, while I enjoy the comfort of a spread out trial, these trials are really great experience for your dog to get used to really up close distractions and having to chill.

There is a playground outside where families go during the weekend. When the families see that their is a dog event going on there, they bring their kids in who think it's a petting zoo, where they run from one dog to the next yelling "I like this one". Or they approach you and your dog right as you are stepping into the ring LOL. That's when I like at least a second of concentrated silence and thought. While I appreciate well mannered dog people's children at the trials, I don't appreciate people who let their kids run around unsupervised to the dogs at a dog trial. It didn't seem like anyone was watching this.

Their are nice open areas to walk, practice, or let your dog do their business quite spread out outside the school. Oh, and also a huge plus, an actual bathroom not an outhouse!!! That is a luxury that one doesn't get at most dog trials LOL.

Day two, although I had the fastest judge in the West , not surprisingly the trial still went behind. Why do I say not surprisingly? I had an 11:30 time, so if anything goes the slightest bit over, and maybe not even, a lunch break will be had......sigh. I don't even know why they bother to schedule in 11:30 or 12:00 trials. It just about always happens like this. No fault of the judge, however, this one is very fast.

No comments: