Monday, January 18, 2010

Magoo Match 1

A match is set up pretty much exactly like the trial will be, but it's not a trial.   This is a place where you can see the weaknesses in your training and act accordingly.   In the following video, we are missing the on lead heel, because my husband was taking new puppy, Boris, out to the bathroom quickly.



In the on lead heel, the only thing that I recall not being great were that Magoo was too distracted to auto sit, though he auto stood with me.   I had to tell him to sit, which you would get great big points off for if not disqualified, since it was a practice, I just wanted him to be used to sitting even though he was distracted.   If it was a trial, I just would have said nothing---and we would have gotten some points off, but survived anyway.

On the figure eight, Magoo is doing the inside turns well if a tad crowdy, but the outside turns---LOL---you can tell he's trying to check out the audience and video person (Robert).   He took those way too wide, and so we will need to work on that.

Then follows the off leash portion, which I was orginally planning not to do.   However, Magoo was doing well enough, so I figured why not have this time to practice.   On the stand, Magoo does well EXCEPT when I walk back.   You can see him walk out of position.   If he moves his four feet before "exercise finish" that is points off.   He didn't end up walking away though.  

Off leash heeling.   He stays in position until the fast portion, where you will see he wants to say hello to the crowd.   So I would have had to use my one allowed heel command while in motion to correct that, as I did in the video.   Also, again I had to say sit until the last one, and Magoo remembered finally that he was supposed to auto sit when I stopped.

Before the group stay exercises, the final exercise is the recall.   He recalls nicely, but sits front crooked.   That is just points off, but we will be working on it because you only can loose so many points before you point out.   Then in the finish, he goes around but is then crooked again.   And again, just points off for this.

The group stay exercises Magoo did well, although you can clearly see he is so interested in his surroundings.   Very proud of him that he stayed in a sit when other dogs moved toward their owners.   One thing with the sit stay is that he scooches back, and you can see before we start the down that I walk him forward a little again so I can circle around.

***Oh, just remembered, it's not in the video but Magoo gets confused when heeling in back of a dog, and he wants to catch up to them and say hello.   So we will have to work on some heeling following after another dog between now and the next match.

mannerly_mutt@yahoo.com
http://www.mannerlymutts.com/

No comments: